Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Gears

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 06:30 PM
aframe
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear Gears

Im looking to get some new rear gears for my 06 Gt Manual. I was curious what is a good ratio for some added acceleration but still able to cruise on the highway with some decent gas milage.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:36 PM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

Most people on here swear by 4.10's. One major issue is whether you plan on making some big power. If you go F/I, you may have trouble getting that power to the ground with a shorter gear. If you stay N/A, 4.10's are perfect for most.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:37 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

This has been discussed countless times. Go with 4.10s. I have them on my 06 GT Man. I drive about 60 miles per.day on the hwy. Gas mileage will suffer a little on the hwy but at 65-70 I can still get around 24-25 MPG.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:38 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Depends how fast you drive on the hwy. Over 80, get 3.73's. Under 80, get 4.10's.

I always drive over 80 on the hwy, but it's only for like 3 miles per day so it's not a big deal. The car pulls incredibly hard from a dig with 4.10's.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:52 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

all I gotta say is be careful on who you get to do the gear install and make darn sure they are using ford racing gears, in fact I would supply the gears to them just to make sure. my local ford racing dealer put in 3 different gearsets and they still whined. took it to a private shop recommended by a parts store I got worse whine. now I have ordered a complete rear assembly from new take off. hopefully that will finally fix my problem. so that is 4 gear sets and still whine. I am paying $855 for the rear end assembly shipped. this might not be a bad option for a guy seeing as I would think the old rear could fetch a couple hundred bucks to offset some of the price.

I have 3.73 gears, to me they are what the car should have came with. the car runs really well at over 80 mph which I see all the time on our freeways. in lllinois speeds are slower so 4.10 might be better.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:52 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Going from 3.55 to 3.73 is a waste. Even though in my last post I gave the MPG going 65-70 I go faster than that.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:22 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

1 - 4.10's from Ford Racing that you bought yourself.
2 - Have a reputable installer put them in and by reputable I mean someone who guarantees the work and work on nothing but gears and drivetrains and transmissions.

I got a referral about this one shop cuz I was looking and I called the guy. I knew what I wanted but played ignorant and said I wanted bigger gears installed because my friend said it made his mustang faster off the line. He said right away that I need the FRPP 4.10's and said upgrade the install kit with something else (from Summit Racing). He said he'd done many late model stangs and that he guarantees it wouldnt whine. He was good to his word.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:36 PM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
1 - 4.10's from Ford Racing that you bought yourself.
2 - Have a reputable installer put them in and by reputable I mean someone who guarantees the work and work on nothing but gears and drivetrains and transmissions.

I got a referral about this one shop cuz I was looking and I called the guy. I knew what I wanted but played ignorant and said I wanted bigger gears installed because my friend said it made his mustang faster off the line. He said right away that I need the FRPP 4.10's and said upgrade the install kit with something else (from Summit Racing). He said he'd done many late model stangs and that he guarantees it wouldnt whine. He was good to his word.
Something to keep in mine before you buy your own gears.. If you do that, some shops may not warranty the work, as it could be blamed on the gears themselves. I would personally just let a shop do all the footwork, and get a written warranty and no-whine policy. Gears aren't something you really want to have to mess with more than once.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:39 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ejanderson05gt
Something to keep in mine before you buy your own gears.. If you do that, some shops may not warranty the work, as it could be blamed on the gears themselves. I would personally just let a shop do all the footwork, and get a written warranty and no-whine policy. Gears aren't something you really want to have to mess with more than once.
I agree but in this case the owner of the shop didnt want to deal with finding the gears and said he could get em at x price or I could bring em in and he would warranty either way. That made me more convinced this guy was old school and worth shaking hands with rather than dealing with paperwork.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

3.73 gears are fun...1st gear is still useable for the most part. but it's very easy to smoke the tires off the line with them. a launch from 2,500+ rpm is worthless right now. on the stock suspension I just burn rubber and leave a smoke show

the deeper the gear, the more mechanical advantage you will get. 4.10 would be great for a car driven almost all city. the motor will be rev'd less, and you can putz around town at a lower idle...You might actually see your in-town MPG's go up.

I am thinking about going to 4.10's myself since I drive 100% city. I spend most of my time in 2nd and 3rd gear, so the loss of 1st gear useability wouldn't really bother me.

Quick Reply: Rear Gears