Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed Inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 04:30 PM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Default Failed Inspection?

Hey guys.

I live in Texas, and I went in for inspection today, and failed. The report says the failure was due to "Catalyst Not Ready", "Evap Not Ready", and "O2 Sens Not Ready", "O2 Sens Htr Not Ready." My only mods are a Steeda CAI, 83 Bamachips eco tune, and Flowmaster axle backs. Anyone know what's wrong?

The inspector told me to drive it 50 miles...will this solve it, or will I have to put the stock airbox back on?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Does eco mean Economy instead of Emissions? If so its because Bamachips Tunes like most come with the rear 02 Sensor cut off in case you want to install an Offroad X/H Pipe.

Get them to write you a special Emissions Test Tune and Email it to you so you can swap it. Swap the tune then drive it a little while before the test.

If you have a canned tunes as well as the Bama Mailorder tunes (older X3 or SF3) in the tuner that will likely work. Make sure you select the correct MAF diameter (For your CAI) and select the option to leave the rear 02's on.

If you dont have that option and are in a hurry just slap the stock air intake back on and reload the stock tune.

Which ever option you chose make sure you drive it a while to make sure its ready when you get to the inspection.

Last edited by Gene K; 05-05-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:14 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UpTo11
Hey guys.

I live in Texas, and I went in for inspection today, and failed. The report says the failure was due to "Catalyst Not Ready", "Evap Not Ready", and "O2 Sens Not Ready", "O2 Sens Htr Not Ready." My only mods are a Steeda CAI, 83 Bamachips eco tune, and Flowmaster axle backs. Anyone know what's wrong?

The inspector told me to drive it 50 miles...will this solve it, or will I have to put the stock airbox back on?
Your tune has the rear O2 sensors turned off.
If you have your stock airbox, you can put that on and reset your tune back to stock, drive it a couple days, and be good to go.
Otherwise, you have to get the tune changed to leave the rear O2 sensors on.

Most tuners turn the rear sensors off by default, so you have to make sure they are on if you have to pass emissions.
(With my first custom tune, I failed with those exact same 3 reasons: because the rear sensors were off!)
Old 05-05-2010, 08:41 PM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

Had the exaxt same codes read during my emissions test in NYC.

It's because your tuner turned off the rear O2's. Either return to stock, or get a new tune.

EITHER WAY, YOU MUST WAIT 70 MILES FOR THE COMPUTER TO RELEARN THAT THE SENSORS ARE RUNNING AGAIN.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:47 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

ya ur tune has the 02 sensor off get them turned back on and ur good to go
Old 05-05-2010, 08:54 PM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Do I just call in for a new tune at brenspeed?
Old 05-05-2010, 09:11 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

ya tell them you need ur 02 sensors turned on
Old 05-06-2010, 12:47 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hardcore302
EITHER WAY, YOU MUST WAIT 70 MILES FOR THE COMPUTER TO RELEARN THAT THE SENSORS ARE RUNNING AGAIN.
Not true. You can get all sensors ready within 30 miles and two driving cycles; I've done it several times. Just wait at least 6 hours between driving.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:01 AM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

Or you could just find a place that's "cool" like me. The past two years I've got my inspection at this one place, I won't name names, but you're in and out in 5min, they just check a few quick things and pass u pretty much regardless. If you're anywhere around Austin PM me and I'll give you the name of the place.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:24 PM
04droptopGT

Default Inspection help!

Originally Posted by sonicmetalicS197
Or you could just find a place that's "cool" like me. The past two years I've got my inspection at this one place, I won't name names, but you're in and out in 5min, they just check a few quick things and pass u pretty much regardless. If you're anywhere around Austin PM me and I'll give you the name of the place.
Hey can you please help me out on my inspection? I live in Austin and mine went out in august :/ I have longtubes and an o/r x pipe. My O2 sensors aren't connected either.. I need to get my gt passed ASAP thanks

Quick Reply: Failed Inspection?