Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LCA Install problem...doesn't line up

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Default LCA Install problem...doesn't line up

I'm trying to put in my LCAs today and I got the first one off and the axle side of the new one put in...when I went to line up the frame side, its about 3/4" short! I know that the axle can move but I thought just doing one at a time prevented this (as I did). Now I'm a little lost as to what to do...How do I "move" the axle that much?? That seems like a lot...

The car is lowered on steeda springs...I probably should have thought about that before...not sure if that can screw up the geometry that much
Old 05-16-2010, 11:39 AM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lupo222
I'm trying to put in my LCAs today and I got the first one off and the axle side of the new one put in...when I went to line up the frame side, its about 3/4" short! I know that the axle can move but I thought just doing one at a time prevented this (as I did). Now I'm a little lost as to what to do...How do I "move" the axle that much?? That seems like a lot...

The car is lowered on steeda springs...I probably should have thought about that before...not sure if that can screw up the geometry that much
With the lca unbolted the rear axle can move quite a lot, that's why you do one side at a time. As long as you don't have adjustable lca's and one of them is adjusted shorter than the other or you installed lca relocation brackets the your suspension geometry should not change from stock.

As far as moving the axle enough to line everything up so you can install bolts, you can get a friend to help or do what I do and use a 2 x 4, as a pry bar, to move it.

Last edited by NJ3; 05-16-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Actually, here's what happened:

I jacked the car up by the axle, as per instructions, in order to put a load on the suspension. Don't do that. It caused the axle to be misaligned. I lowered the jack, lifted it from the sides, stood it up, and was able to easily slide the LCAs in place while my wife threaded the bolt through the hole! So, mission successful. Lesson: don't jack it up by the diff when doing LCAs because it won't let you move the axle as needed.

As a bonus, I painted my rear calipers while I had the tires off with a little help from the wifey. (she made sure I mentioned her name twice in her...)

Now, to do the front ones when she goes off to wor at 4pm...
Old 05-16-2010, 12:45 PM
90stang5.0
2nd Gear Member

When I did mine, I just backed the car onto ramps and unbolted the LCA's and put the new ones in, nothing moved and everything lined up perfectly. Did the same thing when I installed the LCA relocation brackets, everything lined up perfectly then also.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:52 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lupo222
Actually, here's what happened:

I jacked the car up by the axle, as per instructions, in order to put a load on the suspension. Don't do that. It caused the axle to be misaligned. I lowered the jack, lifted it from the sides, stood it up, and was able to easily slide the LCAs in place while my wife threaded the bolt through the hole! So, mission successful. Lesson: don't jack it up by the diff when doing LCAs because it won't let you move the axle as needed.

That's exactly what I did and had an alignment issue. Solved by muscling my way out. Lifting from the side is the trick.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:40 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

That's one of the benefits to CHE LCA's you don't need to preload so you can install them with the rear hanging which makes it much easier.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

yea...i definetly wouldn't "pre load" it again. Woulda been so much easier.

As far as the drive goes, it doesn't squat so much when I take off and it seems in a straight line, second gear wants to hold traction better, but it didn't get rid of the problem I was hoping it would...

My car has a tendency to wanna lunge and jerk forward and back when i'm in first and sometimes second. If I wind first up to like 3,000rpms and back off the gas and then hit it again, it just lunges uncontrollably over and over. Very annoying...not sure whats causing that though or how to fix it...