Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Transmission vs. manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:56 AM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
the auto isn't too bad, just needs a good tune, gears and a high stall converter. I know how uninspiring the stock auto can be. I'd get a manual if you want one though, because you'll never be happy with an auto. I got mine to stay out of trouble.. lost my liscence from 21-25, even after that, owned a manual for 2 1/2 years and still got tickets rofl
How the hell did you lose your license for 4 years?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:07 AM
07torchgt
2nd Gear Member

MANUAL!!!! Theres is nothing like throwing through the gears. You feel as if you have more control over the car.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:29 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by EF 07GTCS
Stealth GT- I could do a tune, but the gears and high stall converter are not really in the cards. I like to add/ do some things but those two items would have to wait for the warranty to expire. Not to sure I'd like to suffer through years of that...
Yes I'm kind of a warranty type of person (what ever that means).
E
CAI tune is alot more enjoyable than stock auto anyday. Yeah, it sucked having a liscence because I couldn't drive legally nor own my own car in those years...
Old 06-01-2010, 02:33 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch Red GT
How the hell did you lose your license for 4 years?
Its a long story, that includes details I'd rather not disclose online.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I still don't know what to do, UGHHH!!! Before I bought my current car I tried both auto and manual and the auto did not do anything for me. Maybe the 2011 will be different??
It looks like you've gone to some effort and expense to set your current Mustang up more for the twisties than the straight line. How would you answer the question "Have my interests changed at all?"

How come Ford doesn't have paddle shifters yet?
As for no paddle shifters, it may be a Mustang heritage thing - no Mustang that I've ever seen since they first started making them had anything but a floor shifter. IMO, paddle shifters are a better fit with the more luxurious SEL/SHO Taurus (fingertip gearchange request rather than muscling the tranny internals directly).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-01-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
It looks like you've gone to some effort and expense to set your current Mustang up more for the twisties than the straight line. How would you answer the question "Have my interests changed at all?"

As for no paddle shifters, it may be a Mustang heritage thing - no Mustang that I've ever seen since they first started making them had anything but a floor shifter. IMO, paddle shifters are a better fit with the more luxurious SEL/SHO Taurus (fingertip gearchange request rather than muscling the tranny internals directly).

Norm
+ 1...Yeah I couldn't see the Mustang having paddle shifters.. Just wouldn't seem right..
Old 06-01-2010, 11:37 AM
floridafordguy
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the replies and opinions... you guys have been of NO HELP!! LOL!

How come Ford doesn't have paddle shifters yet? I still don't know what to do, UGHHH!!! Before I bought my current car I tried both auto and manual and the auto did not do anything for me. Maybe the 2011 will be different??

Thanks,
E
I read Ford is avoiding paddles to keep from pricing the Mustang out of its market. The paddles in the SHO are lame. They're flimsy and set up all wrong. They should be very sturdy, left for down, right for up, and blip the throttle on downshift. I drove a Nissan 370Z (sorry) with this set-up and it was a blast. Car & Driver says this set-up in the Z is .2 seconds faster to 60 than the stick. IMO paddles would make the Mustang perfect.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by floridafordguy
I read Ford is avoiding paddles to keep from pricing the Mustang out of its market. The paddles in the SHO are lame. They're flimsy and set up all wrong. They should be very sturdy, left for down, right for up, and blip the throttle on downshift. I drove a Nissan 370Z (sorry) with this set-up and it was a blast. Car & Driver says this set-up in the Z is .2 seconds faster to 60 than the stick. IMO paddles would make the Mustang perfect.
But paddles are cheap. It just needs to talk to the transmission and tell it to shift up or down. I think Ford is holding out until they can make them as good or better than the Nissan 370Z. Nothing is worse than crappy paddle shifters. Who knows, parts of the transmission might need to be re-engineered to work well with paddles.

Last edited by Adam; 06-01-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:58 AM
floridafordguy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ_68
But paddles are cheap. It just needs to talk to the transmission and tell it to shift up or down. I think Ford is holding until they can make them as good or better than the Nissan 370Z. Nothing is worse than crappy paddle shifters.
Well, they definately missed that boat in the SHO. The ones in that car are effin awful. Why they would put crappy paddles and crappy brakes in the SHO and then charge 45 grand for it is a mystery to me. For that matter, why are the tires in the SHO performace package narrower than the standard ones (255 vs. 245)? And why am I yapping about Zs and SHOs on a Mustang forum? I may have Alzheimers. I don't remember.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by floridafordguy
Well, they definately missed that boat in the SHO. The ones in that car are effin awful. Why they would put crappy paddles and crappy brakes in the SHO and then charge 45 grand for it is a mystery to me. For that matter, why are the tires in the SHO performace package narrower than the standard ones (255 vs. 245)? And why am I yapping about Zs and SHOs on a Mustang forum? I may have Alzheimers. I don't remember.
I would assume the SHO paddles are on par with it's competitors - Maxima, Malibu, etc. That's really no excuse though. I'd love to test drive one.

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission vs. manual