Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowered/Bumpy Ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Tpjb57

Default Lowered/Bumpy Ride

installed new springs and lowered car about 2". drove to New Orleans last weekend. that was the most uncomfortable ride of my life. every bump in the road was felt and dips must have pulled 3g's. Is this the price I paid for looks?
Tom
Old 06-15-2010, 04:54 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tpjb57
installed new springs and lowered car about 2". drove to New Orleans last weekend. that was the most uncomfortable ride of my life. every bump in the road was felt and dips must have pulled 3g's. Is this the price I paid for looks?
Tom
Are they Eibachs? If you got a true 2" drop and kept the stock struts/shocks it's going to ride really rough. And probably even with good aftermarket dampers. I did Eibach first and couldn't handle it (I drive too much). I really tried to keep them. Did steeda sport and it looks fine (not like sema show slammed) but good. Rides fine. There's a fine line between the looks and just driving the car without needing a kidney.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:39 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

I have the FRPP handling pkg, and it rides very well. If you do not have shocks/struts that are matched, then you will have a very rough ride.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:15 PM
liberty911
2nd Gear Member

Struts and shocks are necessary to match the springs.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:32 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Yes that is the price you pay for looks. I too have the FRPP handling pack and it affected the rid a little but very tolerable. I cruised to Carlisle from NY for a couple years now and it is very comfortable. I also recently added CHE LCA's and that made the ride even better. Your suspension is a complete cluster at this point. Having factory shocks with a 2" lower that means your shocks are already into the compression, you need to get struts/shocks that are for a 2" drop, however the ride will only improve slightly.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Go onto the S197 Handling sub forum and post the question for Sam Strano or find his # and call him. He'll get you straightened out.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:23 PM
djmac95
2nd Gear Member

The short answer: Get some Tokico D-Specs.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

yeah d-specs ftw...I can live with mine springs, but I would jump on a good deal for d-specs
Old 06-16-2010, 01:59 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tpjb57
Tom
See this is exactly why I haven't lowered mine. I don't want to throw my back out or cause unnecessary pain to my joints.
Can anyone honestly tell me their ride is smooth with it being lowered? If so, what do you have and how much did it cost?
Old 06-16-2010, 02:10 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

I haven't got around to taking pics yet, but I had my suspension installed yesterday. I am running Koni yellow adjustable shocks, steeda sport springs, J&M camber plates, and a J&M adjustable panhard. When i picked the car up i was all nervous. I had an 05 vert before the 10 and it was lowered with the eibach sport springs and tokino (sp?) blue shocks. The ride was just like you mention, atrocious. I'm talking a sore back and but after half an hour in the car. i hated it.

i was so afraid the 10 would be like that that i almost didn;t lower the car. All i can say is that koni yellows with steeda sport springs are f'in awesome. I picked the cr up and drove it home and the ride is fantastic. No bounce, no jarring over expansion joints or potholes. the ride is firmer, more connected feeling, but not at all harsh like th e05 was. I was thinking the whole way that the shocks had to be on full soft to get such a good ride.

When I headed to the gym this morning I decided to check the shocks to see where they were set. They were a 1.5 turns from FULL FIRM. Cranked them down to full soft to see what it was like, I'm telling you it rides as good as stock but feels more connected. i feel more of what the road surface is like, but the ride is just great. i couldn;t be happier with the setup and i highly recommend it. I learned my lesson with the 05, going cheap is not the way to do a suspension. All the parts cost me about $1200, i don't have much time to work on my own car (and its a billion degrees in Texas right now) so i paid another $350 for install and alignment. Oh, the steeda sports lower the car about an inch in front and 1.25 in the rear, it looks perfect IMHO and evens the stance out. I'll post up pics soon.

Last edited by ShaneM; 06-16-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Lowered/Bumpy Ride