Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Predator Update Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 07:46 PM
dajohu
2nd Gear Member

Default Predator Update Question

I have a Diablosport Predator I purchased from Steeda that I'm trying to see if I need to update, and also if there are any new tunes for it. I can not find anything on the Steeda web page so I went to the Diablosport page and I am totally confused about thier directions.

First off how the hell do you know what version you have? It does not say anywhere on the device nor in the menus from what I could see. In the manual it does say part number U7140 on page 6.

But on the Diablosport page it says this: "Please Note: These custom tunes will only work with the Diablosport(U7140) Predator, if you have a C&L(CL7140) or Steeda(ST7140) unit these tunes will not work."

So is mine an "ST7140" from Steeda or the "U7140"?

I'm spinning my wheels because I could be having serial port problems, the wrong serial cable, or it's not the right version of predator and I shouldn't be even trying to update it!

It does say "Steeda motorsports" or something like that on bootup, and also at the main menu it says "Predator v8r8"

There is even a statement in the documentaion online that says "Remember: These tunes come with the Predator matching its name. Example: Do not download the C&L Mustang tune into a C&L Predator." How the hell do you know what you even have in the first place? I am assuming now that I have the Steeda pedator in which case where do I get my updates from? Can I back up my stock and custoim tunes using the PC connect software?

Sorry, too many questions and too much rambling...

Old 08-07-2005, 07:47 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Predator Update Question

I have the same questions really. Anyone?
Old 08-07-2005, 11:05 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

When it boots up, it will say what version you have. If it says Stteda then you have the steeda 7140. This is a special version of the predator that comes pre-loaded with the steeda tunes. You can not load any other tunes on it. Same thing with the C&L.

However, if when it boots up it says diablo, the you have a 1740. You can not load the C&L or Steeda OS on these, but you can download the custoom tunes for the steeda or C&L.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:16 PM
momustang
1st Gear Member

Plug the Predator into your ODBII port. When it boots up, it will either boot up with a DIABLOSPORT Predator logo, or STEEDA, or C&L (if you purchased the C&L cai/predator combo kit). This will tell you which model Predator you have. If it boots up with the DIABLOSPORT, you have the U7140. Steeda will be something like ST7140 and C&L will be CL7140.

Then while still plugged in, go into the diagnostics mode and retrieve the CALID. write it down and go back to the Diablosport downloads page.

You have to update the flash programming on the Predator BEFORE you download any custom tunes. Look for the rev22 (or most recent) version. You'll need to download their interface/download utility (DSDownloader) before doing so.

You need either the PC INTERFACE kit from Diablosport or another vendor, or buy the DB9 male-female serial cable and the 12V DC power adapter from RadioShack. It'll cost about the same either way; ordering the kit you won't pay tax, while buying it locally you won't pay shipping. The exact Radio Shack part numbers are on DiabloSport's website, in the FAQ section. (sorry, don't have time to post links for you right now).

Once you've updated the flash program on the Predator, go into the Manufacturer's Tunes download section of Diablosport's site. You'll find the tunes you need there, based on your CALID you obtained earlier using the DIAGNOSTICS feature of the predator.

SO... FIRST THING YOU NEED TO DO IS:
Have the hardware to connect the diablosport to your PC;
Obtain your vehicle's CALID in Diagnostic mode;
Download and install the DSDownloader;
Download the updated flash program;
Update the Predator to the updated flash program;
reconnect the DS Predator to the vehicle, go into PERFORMANCE TUNES, and get the backup of your vehicle's factory Tune;
download the correct custom tune;
save the backup to your PC's harddrive or to a disk and then upload the custom tune into your predator;
install the tunes on your vehicle.

Post here if you have problems. Don't do anything if you're not sure you know what you're doing before asking someone else (like you just did!)

~MO
Old 08-07-2005, 11:17 PM
dajohu
2nd Gear Member

That sucks, I wish I would have known that before I bought it since they were all the same price anyway. The only reason I picked Steeda was because I was ordering their CAI and figured it would work better together. I hope they update thier OS once and a while too, for bug fixes or new functions like T/C disable. I did finally find my box and it does say ST7140 on it, I'm going to make sure I mark the programmer itself so that in 6 months I'm not here asking again.

So we can still get new tunes at least, but no OS updates unless Steeda decides they need to?

I wrote them earlier and asked where their downloads were, we'll see how they respond.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:26 PM
dajohu
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, I didn't see your post until today since we posted about the same time yesterday. I will try again tonight, if I have problems again I will run to radio shack and get the exact cable they specify. One thing that through me off was at the screen where you choose the predator you have it says :

ST7140 Steeda 2005 Mustang 85mm
ST7149 Steeda 2005 Mustang 90mm

Now I think I have the ST7140 but that darn 85mm and 90mm threw me off yesterday, what the heck does that mean? I thought it was something I must not have had since I didn't know what it was.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:37 PM
dajohu
2nd Gear Member

I finally got it to work. First off my cable is a null modem (some pins are crossed) and needed to be straight through. Radio shack was closed so out of desperation I used a couple DB9 gender changers to simulate the straight through cable, and it worked. It was a but flimsy though, and it had to face the table because of the way it lined up. It updated fine and I'm fiddling with backing up my tunes on my PC now, and once I put my CAI 93 octane tune back in and tweak it again, I plan to back it up as well.

A couple pointers to anyone who might have problems getting it to work. Don't worry about the baud rate of the Predator itself, just make sure your PC COM port and the software are both set to 115k. The baud rate setting in the Predator actually resets every time you power it anyway, so don't even mess with it. The Predator must autodetect or something, because it shows the 57.6k each time you go to the baud rate screen, and that kept throwing me off.

It does say to use 115k in the documentaion but they mean only for the PC, not the Predator baud setting.

Oh and by the way, I hope you weren't using the 93 octane tune, because it's gone now.[:@] I guess the good news is I can save a few cents per tank going with the middle octane gas now.

Also they raised the idle up to 844 and the rev limiters to almost 6800, that had me a bit surprised, it used to be 6500. These are for a manual tans.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:08 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dajohu

Thanks, I didn't see your post until today since we posted about the same time yesterday. I will try again tonight, if I have problems again I will run to radio shack and get the exact cable they specify. One thing that through me off was at the screen where you choose the predator you have it says :

ST7140 Steeda 2005 Mustang 85mm
ST7149 Steeda 2005 Mustang 90mm

Now I think I have the ST7140 but that darn 85mm and 90mm threw me off yesterday, what the heck does that mean? I thought it was something I must not have had since I didn't know what it was.

Hi dajohu,

The latest vesion of the Steeda CAI is shipping with a 90mm MAF housing. The original 85mm housing shipped through mid May or so and the Diablo Predators were originally shipped with the tunes for the smaller MAF housing. The latest 90mm housing needs a different tune and is included with the new Steeda/Diablo tuners. If you have the older 85mm MAF housing you can buy the latest version from Steeda for $110 or so. The new 90mm housing uses all of the other parts from the 85mm MAF housing. All you have to do is swap the housing out and install the 90mm tune and you have the latest from Steeda. I would not obsess over the small difference in the housings as there is only about a 2-4HP difference in output even with the new tune installed.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-13-2008, 03:46 PM
lazorrazor

Default Pred Tuner U7146

If your having probs with most of the functions supplied with your DS Pred tuner, there will be an update available soon that should fix all the problems, some fixes will be speed senser, auto trans vs manual (presently unable to select manual) live data logging, etc....I certainlty hope they fix it or it will end up with the screwed tool pile I have in my garage....I have been in touch with Mike L who is a tech from DS, he's the tech that fields most of the questions we throw at DS on their forum. Be patient ya all, hopefully by Xmas of 078 our probs will be solved, I'll just throw a snow plow on my Stang to try out the "NEW" updated Predator!!!
STAY DRY