Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high flow cats

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:17 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Default high flow cats

ok so i ran into a guy today as i was getting out of my car for work. He had a perelli jones addition saleen and boy did it sound good. My car sounds good to but he was talking about his high flow cats and how much more sound they added... I have been thinking about getting a set for the stang to increase the noise cause i want MORE.

so my question is to you guys... do the high flows actually add that much more sound and also how do you install then, I know there are crimp on ones and i am ok with that but i would need to use the same piping that my original cats come on for the bends and everything... so how do you install to haha thanks
Old 08-13-2010, 02:49 AM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Hi-flows add a good amount more sound and volume. i have them on an H-pipe with resonators and they sound awesome! the best way to mount them is to simply get an aftermarket catted mid-pipe ( bassani,MRT,SLP..etc) , or you can buy the hi-flow cats separately and then just get an off-road X or H pipe and have them welded in. i wouldnt mess with bolting them on, as youll surely have leaks and rattles galore! if you want the loudest cats.. get the small metallic spun race style ones like bassani offers (thats what im using) . its best to keep your stock catted mid-pipe for inspection time or if you need to sell the car, rather than removing the factory cats.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:13 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smokestang
Hi-flows add a good amount more sound and volume. i have them on an H-pipe with resonators and they sound awesome! the best way to mount them is to simply get an aftermarket catted mid-pipe ( bassani,MRT,SLP..etc) , or you can buy the hi-flow cats separately and then just get an off-road X or H pipe and have them welded in. i wouldnt mess with bolting them on, as youll surely have leaks and rattles galore! if you want the loudest cats.. get the small metallic spun race style ones like bassani offers (thats what im using) . its best to keep your stock catted mid-pipe for inspection time or if you need to sell the car, rather than removing the factory cats.
the point of me getting hi flow cats would be for me to be able to pass emissions without having to do any swapping before the inspections. If i was to have to swap out the cats i would do cat deletes, or dummy cats....

can you pass emissions with the metallic spun race high flow cats....? or do you need to swap them for emissions...
Old 08-13-2010, 03:31 AM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Inspection depends on your states criteria. alot of times the hi-flows will still pass though. my point was just that its easier to buy a hi-flow catted pipe or make one from an O/R pipe, rather than try to modify your factory pipe to fit aftermarket cats!
Old 08-13-2010, 03:34 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smokestang
Inspection depends on your states criteria. alot of times the hi-flows will still pass though. my point was just that its easier to buy a hi-flow catted pipe or make one from an O/R pipe, rather than try to modify your factory pipe to fit aftermarket cats!
o i see now, i am more of a do it in the garage type of guy so i will play with it. Now does pypes offer the same flow as bassani? and how much more sound did you get with just the high flows...
Old 08-13-2010, 03:47 AM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Ii think the pypes would be ok, they do make both ceramic and metallic cats ..but i am leary of the quality of pypes products in general! bassani seems to have great quality and craftmanship (have had mine for 3 yrs and still working fine) as for the sound level, mines just a notch or 2 below an O/R pipe as far as volume..which i find to be perfect for still having cats and its pretty damn loud! HAHA
Old 08-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

I have the Magnaflow catted X and it added quite a bit of volume without adding much rasp.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:53 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I have pypes catted X-pipe. I have no complaints about the quality or fitment, but I did have an exhaust shop do the install as this set-up requires cutting the legs so you can slip the cats on. I didn't want to deal w/the cutting and I wanted the cats welded on.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:47 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Pypes long tubes, h pipe, pypes hf cats, pypes m80s, and American thunder flow masters......the perfect muscle car tone IMO. The quality of the pypes brand has been fantastic.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:00 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

I have kooks headers with hi flow cats /borlas on supercharged engine. Headers alone make a big difference to begin with but there is also a bit difference on sound with hi flow cats + supercharger, vs N/A. I would say my system is abt 15% louder and lower tone than N/A with the same system. Certainly pushing a lot more gases through it (higher pressure gases too).
For me O/R is just way too loud.

Quick Reply: high flow cats