Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warped Rotors?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 02:39 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

Default Warped Rotors?!?!?!

as some may know i have recently put Baer brakes on my car with their 14" slotted/drilled rotors on the front.

starting about a week ago i have noticed that on off ramps when i apply about medium braking pressure i feel a little bit of a shimmy in the steering wheel. i dont notice anything at low speed braking, and at hard pressure i dont notice anything either.

i have put about 2,000 miles on my car since the install and i havent gone through a formal bedding process for the brakes either (Baer said to wait about 1000 miles on their zinc coated rotors before doing so). could not bedding the pads in be the problem? or is it definitely the rotors.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:42 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Shimmy?? Or is it a pulsation? Pulsation is for sure the rotors
Old 08-31-2010, 02:46 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

if i let go of the steering wheel while braking it "shakes" left and right.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:11 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Sounds like rotors to me?
Old 08-31-2010, 05:34 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Yep, what he said.^^^^
Old 08-31-2010, 05:45 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

that's a sure sign of bad rotors...get yo money back
Old 08-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Before blaming it on cheap rotors bed the pads properly. What pads are you using by the way? Uneven pad deposits can absolutely cause brake judder. Stranger things have happened I suppose but unless its a manuf defect I find it impossible to believe you warped the rotors in 2K of street driving (now if you did a track day with them...that might be a different story).
Old 08-31-2010, 08:58 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

no track day on them yet, thats next week. ill go bed them in tonight but i have an appointment later tomorrow to resurface them (rears are definitely warped from a track day). In the front i have what ever pads that Baer uses, and i have the stock pads in the rear. i was hoping the rears would last longer but it looks like ill have to get some 2-piecers for them too.

would it be possible to warp them in 2k miles if my dad, for some reason, felt the need to engage ABS within 100 miles of the install? he wanted a fun test drive before i went home..... i would think that the effects would have shown up sooner.

Last edited by Lil_Chef; 08-31-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:11 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Like I said previously, any thing is possible but baring a manufacturing defect, warping the rotors in 2K miles is very unlikely. I've put thousands of miles of extreme usage on various cars. Summit Point and Thunderbolt are just brutal on brakes. In all that time I have never warped a rotor (cracked lots of them though). It is most likely something else. Uneven pad deposits are very common and this is actually the culprit when most people assume they have a warped rotor. There are other possibilities also - you have radial calipers. They are not as forgiving as the stock slide-rails. Your calipers need to be perfectly aligned with the rotors (pefectly square), if they are off more than 1-2 thousands then you could have issues. Check that the rotor is properly seated on the hub also. You can take a wheel off and then make sure the rotor is seated with two lug nuts. Then rig something up to hold a pencil or pointer rock steady next to the rotor, almost touching. Spin the rotor and see for yourself if there is any runout.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Boondoggie
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Check that the rotor is properly seated on the hub also. You can take a wheel off and then make sure the rotor is seated with two lug nuts.
+1

I would remove the rotors, and check the hub mating surface, maybe even go over with a scotchbrite pad to make sure nothing is interfering with the rotor mounting up perfectly true.

Quick Reply: Warped Rotors?!?!?!