Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch activates brake lights????

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Default Clutch activates brake lights????

When I push in my clutch, my brake lights go on...anyone else experienced this issue?

Model: Mustang GT
Year: 2008

Thanks.

Last edited by Roy_R; 09-03-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Oooh, looky what I found....

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...lights-487146/

Went out tonight and while backing out my driveway I notice when I push in the clutch pedal my brake lights are coming on. Drive to the store and sure enough every time I clutch to shift the brake lights come on. I figure that must really be freaking folks out since I have no idea how long this has been going on.

When I get home I crawl under the dash to see what could be happening.

Unlike old cars that have a brake switch that is activated by pushing a plunger IN it seems the S197's have a brake switch that activates when the plunger is released.

There is a metal tab on the brake pedal that keeps the plunger in and when you depress the pedal the tab moves out with the pedal and the spring loaded plunger comes out and brake lights go on.

Well ... turns out the ONLY metal on the brake/clutch pedal mechanism are the pedals themselves. The entire bracket and housing is made out of PLASTIC. What was happening is pushing the clutch pedal in was causing the entire mechanism to flex just enough to cause the plunger on the brake pedal switch to come out.

It was only coming out a fraction of a millimeter but that was enough to make the brake light come on.

To fix it I slightly bent the tab on the brake pedal in toward the plunger. The brake lights still come on with very little brake pedal pressure but now the flex in the bracket when you push in the clutch is not enough to let the brakes lights come on.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:24 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Did that work for you?
Old 09-03-2010, 05:21 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RideMyAssOff
To fix it I slightly bent the tab on the brake pedal in toward the plunger. The brake lights still come on with very little brake pedal pressure but now the flex in the bracket when you push in the clutch is not enough to let the brakes lights come on.
Get the GT500 pedal assembly; it also addresses the stuck fully depressed clutch pedal problem. I bet it will fix your brake light-from-flex problem too.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:01 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

LOL ... yes that's my post from the other forum about my clutch pedal turning on the brake lights.

Is the GT500 Clutch pedal bracketry 100% metal ??

EDIT - FOUND THIS: Not sure about the 2008 ... but my 2010 uses the GT500 pedal assembly already. The 2011 uses something completely different ...

http://www.svtsnake.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48221

Last edited by dmhines; 09-03-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

No, I haven't tried it...but since the OP is commenting in this thread, he'd be the one to ask. I will look at it tonight, maybe give the dealer the first shot at it.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:32 PM
chain_rxn
1st Gear Member

same thing has happened to me. figured the pedal assembly was the issue. i would be interested what you find about the gt500 assembly. my clutch was squeaky and i had not been driving the car very much, so i figured it just was stiff and therefore causing the problem. with some more driving, it has stopped squeaking and my problem solved [i think!].
Old 09-04-2010, 02:24 AM
HT
5th Gear Member

Happened to me. Took it to the dealership and they fixed it right up, said they'd seen it once before. No problems since.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:30 PM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

I was shocked when I saw my brake lights come on when I pressed the clutch in. I have no idea how long this had been happening on my car either. I just saw it the other night. What a cheap setup from the factory that would allow the clutch pedal to flex the assembly enough to activate the brake lights.

Crazy stuff. Thanks for posting the fix....worked great.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:44 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Had this happen on an old ranger I used to own. Thankfully I haven't experienced it on my stang.

Quick Reply: Clutch activates brake lights????