Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 03:27 PM
datsyuk
1st Gear Member

Default Window Tint

Hey everyone I know this has been asked a lot but I currently bought some 20% window tints online and have them and wanna know some details about applying them. First off is the moleskin/weather stripping (I think?) issue, I have an 06 so is it really a big deal to do? I read it causes streaks on the windows but wouldnt you think I'd see streaks on my windows now even without the tint? I asked a guy at my job once who walked in with tinted windows on his 05 gt and he said he got them done for $100 at a shop and never said anything about a moleskin or whatever when I asked him. And how really hard is the tint to put on? I mean it looks fairly easy but I don't wanna mess up. I went to that shop today where he said he got it for $100 from and it says that even on the window at the store but the guy told me for my Mustang it would run me $140, sounds a little high to me for just tints.

So what should I do about the moleskin/weather stripping and should I try it myself or pay?

And is there anyone with an 05 or 06 who did tints without the moleskin or weather stripping and how did it turn out?
Old 09-07-2010, 04:03 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

$140 for a full tint job is a really good deal. At least from what I've seen, $200 is about average.

You don't HAVE to do moleskin, some don't have any problems with scratching. I don't have moleskin on mine, and my tint is very lightly scratched. Not a huge deal.

I've never installed tint, it seems like it will be quite difficult actually.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:02 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

The reason for the moleskin is to prevent scratches from dirt that can get imbedded in the factory plastic weatherstripping... You can get it online for like $30... Cheap insurance IMO... Reason you don't have a problem now is that the glass is harder then the plastic. But your tint definitely won't be... Don't chance it.
Don
Old 09-07-2010, 07:28 PM
KutenStang
1st Gear Member

I paid about $165 for a complete tint job (front and rear). Looks great!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:06 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

i'm paying $200 with lifetime warranty for complete job so you're getting a pretty solid price...i'll post pics thurs. night after the install
Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 PM
datsyuk
1st Gear Member

Now if the shop says I get a life-time warranty on the tint, should I bother going with a moleskin?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Red ll iine GT
2nd Gear Member

I got my whole car done for 165, high performance tint 15% with a lifetime warranty. I didnt do the moleskin, and so far i only have one noticeable scratch on the windows. The reason i opted out of the moleskin was because I have the lifetime warranty, so when i dont like it, ill just go get it redone..
Old 09-07-2010, 09:22 PM
datsyuk
1st Gear Member

Now I'm sure it depends on the shop and people but with a lifetime warranty when it gets to the point where I say hey theres too many scratches on this, re-do it. Will they?

And also the guy said today he will not use my tints I have already purchased so I may just try and give it a shot myself or find someone who claims they can do it like a buddy or something. Worth a shot?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:35 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

dude.... Tiny is very hard if you have never done it. It is such a pain in the **** to get it to come out straight, and not cut into everything while your cutting the tint, and getting it not have any air boubles... and on and on, its just so finikey. If they use good product and are going to do it and warranty it for 140 I say go for it. Make sure there warranty states what it covers. scuffing over 2 years may fall into normal wear and tear for example. Especialy if there is a known problem and a known fix that you opted out off.

Tint is one of those things, your better off saving now for a extra week or two, bring it to some place that knows what there doing, get the moleskin put on, and make sure they use good product.

On a side note, taken from: http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/NY/
WindshieldNon-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield. Front Side WindowsMust allow more than 70% of light in.Back Side WindowsMust allow more than 70% of light in.Rear WindowAny darkness can be used.

verified here
http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html
and here
http://www.tintlaws.com/laws/NY/

i know you didnt come here to get lectured but if the 140 to pay a pro to do it is hard to cough up, you sure wouldnt like the fix it ticket / fine / inspection fees.

Last edited by JDWalton; 09-07-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:24 PM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

ill sell you my moleskin...just never got around to putting it on...

Quick Reply: Window Tint