Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronics robbing Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 07:17 AM
longhornmustang

Default Electronics robbing Horsepower

If you turned on all your auxilary electronics, how many watts (or horsepower) would you rob from the engine? Lets assume the Shaker 1000 and is operating at peak and you're even using the power outlets. I don't have much car knowledge so forgive if this is a stupid question; I'm just curious.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:29 PM
blackened
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Electronics robbing Horsepower

won't make a difference since the electronics run off battery power. your coil packs run off the alternator, the alternator re-charges the battery based on the rpms it's turning - anywhere from 12-15 volts no matter what. obviously the AC is a different matter. the AC compressor clutch engages when the AC is on pulling power from the crank pully. When the AC is off the AC pulley just spins.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:39 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Blackend - Metallica fan by chance? Good song
Old 08-15-2005, 10:55 PM
dajohu
2nd Gear Member

1 hp = 746 watts

Like others have said it doesn't really rob any power from you though, unless your charging system is not adequate, causing you to not get enough spark. You will notice your lights blinking or dimming when running something too large (amps, heat gun, DC-AC inverter). I'd be more worried about the weight than the power (shaker 1000 head unit and all speakers together probably weighs about 50-60lbs) because you can always just turn it off. I always race with AC, radio and everything else off (except lights at night[8D]).
Old 08-16-2005, 06:35 PM
The Bandit

CB doesn't rob me of anything I've ever noticed.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:42 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: blackened

won't make a difference since the electronics run off battery power. your coil packs run off the alternator, the alternator re-charges the battery based on the rpms it's turning - anywhere from 12-15 volts no matter what. obviously the AC is a different matter. the AC compressor clutch engages when the AC is on pulling power from the crank pully. When the AC is off the AC pulley just spins.
Mmm.. beg to differ with you on the 'electronics run off of the battery' comment. Maybe with the car not running. You can, with the car running (and I DO NOT recommend this on newer electronic cars) disconnenct one of the battery cables (positive I believe) and the car will continue to run, radio and all.

I have to point this out since some idiot may try it. If you pull a battery cable off while the car is running you CAN blow out the altnernator, ECU, PCM, Fuel Pump, Ignition module or cause a short DO NOT DO IT. Older cars that have carbuertors (sp) and no computers can try it but it may cause damage to the points or condensor. We had beaters in auto shop that we used to mess around with so it didn't matter.

Once the car is started, everything runs off the alternator. The battery just sits (like the battery backup in your alarm clock). Yes the car battery does get recharged by the alternator in the meantime.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:34 PM
blackened
2nd Gear Member

sowaxeman - you betcha!

Derf00 - that's just what my dad told me i've done the batt disconnect thing before when trying to figure out whether i had a battery/alternator problem before...props to ya for that word of caution too.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:24 AM
longhornmustang

Derf00, that makes more sense to me. Even if the electronics are running off battery, at some point it must be recharged. If the rate (i.e. power) at which you use the electronics is greater than the rate at which it is being recharged, then the disequilibrium will cause battery to run out eventually.