Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hellion turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 10:01 PM
nottey4.6
1st Gear Member

Default Hellion turbo

I have been wanting to get a hellion turbo kit for awhile now. But, Saturday I was at the bowling green NMRA event and stopped at the hellion pit area. I asked a couple questions and and a couple guys didn't seem to care a bit about my questions.Anyone with their kits have any problems with customer service. Also, I looked at John Urist's hellion fox and couldn't believe that none of the hellion cars even run a turbo. All of their cars have vortech blowers. That really made me second guess their kit considering a turbo company won't even use their own products on their cars.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:44 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

lol that sucks about not caring about your questions part. They would really hate me then, because I always have a million questions and cover every angle of problems that may, may not or might arise.

Funny thing about the Vortechs~!
Old 10-04-2010, 02:16 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

I've heard some pretty bad stories about their service, It seems to me that they don't care about the install problems and think they make a flawless kit...now, I personally have no experience installing one, i'm just saying I've heard they don't offer much help to customers

....prochargers = better
Old 10-04-2010, 02:46 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

says a lot about someone's product when the people who manufacture and sell it won't use it on their own cars. Soon as I saw superchargers on their display cars I would have walked away. Especially since they are so hard core turbo sales oriented.

Why would someone want a turbo on a daily driven mustang anyway? Sure, they are capable of more power and torque, and sometimes cheaper, but there are too many negatives to make it worth while.

1. The system takes longer to install than a twin screw.
2. You have to tap your oil pan to feed the turbo.
3. It gets HOT under the hood.
4. Harder to return to stock if you want to remove it, too much cutting and modding.
5. More parts that can fail, blow off valves, waste gates, etc.
6. Turbo lag, not so much on our cars, but still doesn't offer the instant torque like a twin screw.
7. the extra piping in the engine bay can easily look cluttered and ugly in a daily driver.

Those are the main points, and I will never own a built turbo car. I might buy one new built that way, but it would never be my choice to install one.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 10-04-2010 at 02:53 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:21 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

interesting

but it may have only been a car they sponsor. Does Hellion offer other products besides turbo's?

it is rather weird that any car with their logo wouldn't be rocking a huge *** turbo.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:18 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
says a lot about someone's product when the people who manufacture and sell it won't use it on their own cars. Soon as I saw superchargers on their display cars I would have walked away. Especially since they are so hard core turbo sales oriented.

Why would someone want a turbo on a daily driven mustang anyway? Sure, they are capable of more power and torque, and sometimes cheaper, but there are too many negatives to make it worth while.

4. Harder to return to stock if you want to remove it, too much cutting and modding.
6. Turbo lag, not so much on our cars, but still doesn't offer the instant torque like a twin screw.
7. the extra piping in the engine bay can easily look cluttered and ugly in a daily driver.

Those are the main points, and I will never own a built turbo car. I might buy one new built that way, but it would never be my choice to install one.
+1, well said.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:13 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

I have a different view from my individual experience as an owner a built turbo car, and therefore having some actual experience with a turbo system on a heavily built vehicle. Had all sorts of issues over time to be expected with the wear and tear of a dragstrip car, but the turbo system has not been one of them.

I did not do the install myself, but it seemed to go flawlessly. In fact the system has been off and on the car quite a few times (engine rebuild, gutting engine bay etc.) and never any issues

No idea...too technical for me

Yes it gets hot under the hood at the strip running low 10s and 135+ mph. When the car was street-driven, no hotter than without the turbo

Who the hell, returns a heavily FI, track car to stock?

Engine failed, fuel pumps failed, oil pump failed, other stuff.....never the turbo system

Sized properly for street duty, turbo lag is a thing of the past. Sized incorrectly there will be lag... and for strip use, lag is eliminated.

Can hardly see the turbo or piping .

I have a Powerhouse turbo system. I would not buy a Hellion.

Last edited by forensicsteve; 10-04-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:24 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Steve, for a dedicated track car, I would have nothing but turbo.

For a daily driver, I still stand behind my initial statement.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

I live with a guy, who has a 2010 GT with a hellion set up. It runs good, no problems to date (about 2 months old). It does loose a little to much boost between gears than I would like to see. Here is the video of the shop building the car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH8UOhoxSeQ
Old 10-04-2010, 12:43 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by forensicsteve

Who the hell, returns a heavily FI, track car to stock?
I have to agree with forensicsteve on this one. The only person I could see that would want to do this, is the guy that wants to sell his/her beat up mustang and rip somebody off saying "nah, never been modified."

Quick Reply: Hellion turbo