Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iphone 4 issue with sync

Old 10-05-2010, 10:49 PM
juicedup20
1st Gear Member

Default Iphone 4 issue with sync

I had the Iphone 3 and it worked perfect with the sync system for phone and music.

I have the iphone 4 now and I made sure I cleared the system of the previous phone and then synced the new iphone 4 to the stang.

It works but almost on a daily basis it will lose the connection and I am having to go back in and set up the bluetooth to play the music or use the phone through the factory speakers.

Anyone have any experience with this or know a remedy for the issue?

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:29 PM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

I had a similar issue until I upgraded SYNC to the latest firmware. What version are you currently at?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 AM
jeff_betamouse

There is a known issue with all Bluetooth connections and the iphone 4. It comes from doing an upgrade to the latest iOS version rather than a fresh install. While it is a pain in the butt if you do the following it will likely solve your bluetooth issues:

Once your connecting to iTunes after backing up go into your finder on your Mac go to iTunes /library/ software update you will see the latest software update that is on your iPhone you have either 4.1 or if you have not updated you you will see 4.00 4.01 4.02 which ever you have right click it and delete now empty your trash.
Go to the summary page in iTunes and restore your phone when you are done it will automatically detect and ask you to install 4.1 click ok let it install. What you just did that you didn't do previously you now have a totally clean install of 4.1 with no other conflicts from previous updates with corrupt Bluetooth issues. Now after the 4.1 installs iTunes will ask you if you if would like to back up from a previous phone or set up as a new phone YOU MUST SELECT NEW PHONE THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO DO! Don't worry everything is backed up in iTunes and you will not loose anything. The only thing you will have to do on your phone is personalize it the way you once did it ringtones wallpaper ect. No big deal because now your Bluetooth set will be working perfect. Your music, apps, videos, books, photos will all be there for you just check the items in iTunes that you want back in. The whole process should take about 1hour. Trust me if you do it this way it will work. Feel free to call Apple support and tell them you want to do a clean install of 4.1 and you want it set up as a NEW PHONE. Tell apple you want to remove the previous software first. I know what I am talking about this is the solution if you do it correctly.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:30 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

My evo does the same thing. Random disconnects the entire time where I have to reconnect manually. This is a major PITA for me because I pretty much only use the BT streaming functionality to play my audiobooks from my evo. People on the sync forums say to pull the sync fuse and reset the system to default but I doubt that will do anything. Sync is the only hardware I have problems with on BT. My BT headset and stereo headphones work perfectly. Sync is just a POS for the most part that Ford has no desire to update or support. It's already been WELL over a year since the last firmware came out. Personally I think they have washed their hands of updating it any further and are just not telling people this is the case.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:25 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by j0nx
My evo does the same thing. Random disconnects the entire time where I have to reconnect manually. This is a major PITA for me because I pretty much only use the BT streaming functionality to play my audiobooks from my evo. People on the sync forums say to pull the sync fuse and reset the system to default but I doubt that will do anything. Sync is the only hardware I have problems with on BT. My BT headset and stereo headphones work perfectly. Sync is just a POS for the most part that Ford has no desire to update or support. It's already been WELL over a year since the last firmware came out. Personally I think they have washed their hands of updating it any further and are just not telling people this is the case.
this could not be further from the truth
Old 10-06-2010, 10:45 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Have you tried using the USB connection? I know it's not ideal.. but it works every time. I myself have had no issues with Synch disconnecting via bluetooth to my iPhone 4. I have the latest iPhone iOS update.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:36 AM
juicedup20
1st Gear Member

How do you update your sync firmware?
Old 10-06-2010, 12:11 PM
branman1
2nd Gear Member

Wow thanks for that info. I will be doing that tonight.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:15 PM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
this could not be further from the truth
Sorry but this is very close to the truth. From a BT standpoint the sync system has MASSIVE problems with many devices too numerous to list. From a USB standpoint it is mediocre as well since it refuses to index many apple devices upwards of firmware 3.x. I don't say these things because of feeling. I say them from experience and from many hours spend on the sync forums investigating the problems and seeing that MANY others suffer from the same unfixed issues well over a year later. It's a decent system if you can work around the problems but on a $30k car I shouldn't have to work around jack $h1t. They should be working around me, not vice versa. The fact that they haven't released an updated firmware for sync in well over a year now speaks volumes.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:43 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

I can't tell you how many different mp3 players and versions of apple products I have connected both bluetooth and usb and never seen an issue. Maybe you haven't updated it in over a year but that doesn't mean their haven't been updates.

iOS4 screwed up almost every connectivity system from ford all the way to BMW, so lets not go blaming the OEMs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Iphone 4 issue with sync