Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M90 experience? (anyone besides ShaneM?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:07 PM
bingo2
1st Gear Member

Don't let my description fool you; if you get on it hard, it will respond in kind.

No clutch change; stock clutch is good for 450 or so.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:40 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Cool; nice to know you can have it both ways...
Old 10-12-2010, 09:04 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

I put my M90 in may with the VMP500HP kit and tune,all i can say is i love it! It is all i really wanted,no matter what you do there will always be someone that will have a faster car!
Old 10-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

No need to replace the stock clutch, only required above 450hp. Gear ratio on the dive is equally as important as that will also affect the acceleration, in a major way. I only have 3:55, would have been better with 4:10s.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
you must've also dropped a couple psi of boost in the process.
which isn't an entirely bad thing.
loosing boost just means you lost some restriction, which is good.
you still have 455 rwhp/ 439 tq, which is pretty respectable on a mustang dyno.
and you only lost 4 lbs/ft of torque which isn't that much.
overall you are more efficient with LT's than shorties with FI.
and had he chosen to buy the 1 5/8" primaries, and not the 1 3/4" he probably wouldn't have lost that much. I've talked to him about it before in another thread, he just chose the wrong size of headers for his application. The larger primaries reduced velocity & psi in turn stole some power and torque.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 10-12-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:40 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Frankly, if you're the slightest bit concerned about what other people think of what you have under the hood, then you're in the wrong "hobby," LOL.

I have an M90 in my daily driver. It's very reliable, plenty of power, and a blast to drive.

Don't get hung up on hitting a mythical number at the wheels... if you're looking for 100+ horsepower increase at the wheels, reliability, safety, and just a damn good time, get the M90.

Besides, if you hate it, you can always sell it... but you won't hate it.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:52 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

If I had the money right now, I'd get the M90 for my 08

It's just as capable as any blower out there, it's just not a 750hp blower so don't expect more out of it than it really is rofl
Old 10-13-2010, 12:08 AM
DiMora

The M90 is a fun blower. Waaay better than stock. With a 2.57" pulley and a Steeda cold air intake it is a blast.

With that said, I had to sell that little screamer because I wanted more and it was pointless to spend money on cams and longtubes at the time when TVS was a 4 hour bolt-on.

Now I have the long-tubes as well, but my point is the M90 is a perfect starter blower. Use it, love it, and if you need more, a TVS is an easy upgrade.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:41 AM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kenthicken
Frankly, if you're the slightest bit concerned about what other people think of what you have under the hood, then you're in the wrong "hobby," LOL.
It's not that I care that much, but it would be fun to see if I could take something home if I decided to enter it in a local show for fun. I just see how some people online don't respect the M90 and didn't know if that carried through to the real world.

I know the M90 is reliable on it's own, but have there been any issues with the VMP kit? Does the kit push the M90 harder? Any reliability issues? Is the whine going to be louder? (not sure how loud I want the whine since I only have stingers)

The only reason I'm hung up on 425 is because of the song Black Sunshine lol...
Old 10-13-2010, 07:58 AM
bingo2
1st Gear Member

I bought the VMP kit; pulley and tune and there is a noticable difference. Much better throttle response and more power. Whine is about the same, just a little more as you are spinning the M90 to higher RPMs. With my GT500 mufflers, I really didn't notice much difference in sound level from the blower.

Stock from Roush, my M90 was making 6 PSI and after the pulley swap 7.5 on the day I had the dyno tune done by Racer's Edge Tuning in Norwalk, CA. The car made 401 HP and 396 TQ uncorrected, on a dyno nicknamed the "Heartbreaker". I've read of some making more; depends on the dyno, atmospheric conditions, etc..

Here's an example of the performance. I'm not a street racer but, the other day I couldn't pass up this opportunity. 2010 Camaro SS auto was no competition. Had him by multiple cars midway through 3rd so I slowed down and shifted to 4th then saw he was attempting a ricer fly by, shifted to 3rd as her got to my rear quarter, he went by and then I ran him down and passed him.

Quick Reply: M90 experience? (anyone besides ShaneM?)