Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mod help

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:12 PM
ChrisIA
1st Gear Member

Also, you have talked about the resale value for the next owner a few times... Do you not like the car? If you already think your going to get rid of it, dont bother modding it at all. If you like the car and want to make it yours, mod the hell out of it and keep it. Who cares about the next guy who MAY own it if its yours and your probably gonna drive it into the ground. As soon as I started to get attached to this stang I knew and started pouring lots of money into it. On a side note, there a certified Rouch installer and with that kit going for so cheap..... I'm just saying, a simple bolt on good for over 400HP and you will be able to show those 5.0s whats up.[/QUOTE]

OMG i love this car! i will have it for awhile and as you can see i really know very little about cars. most of my info on spec fail is from my bro and my two mech school friends. long tube was one of the first things i asked them about and they said nope instant fail. but im going to call them now and look into it further. regarding the supercharger again, i really don't like the sound of them. resale is just something im considering cause i always look far ahead.
but about that black lung, i read that its actually normal for the manifold to flex as it sucks in more air from the thro body, so it flexs all the time when you rev up the rpm.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:25 PM
ChrisIA
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Let's back up to the real beginning.

What exactly do you want to make better? More specifically, in what order of preference (engine/powertrain, chassis/dragstrip/handling/braking, other/appearance)?

Why wouldn't you be driving it during the winter? We don't get all that much snow (not like, say, Syracuse or Oswego, NY), so there are plenty of days where the roads are clear.

BTW, the only times I can remember where a picky visual failed one of my cars in NJ for any reason at all was once for the headlights not being "an approved type" and once for having a broken inside door handle. Both occurrences were 15 or more years ago, at the Cherry Hill state-run facility, which tends to be a little pickier than many (probably due to being located close to Camden).

Now that they make you wait down by the exit door to the inspection lanes it's harder to tell what they may be looking at/for.

Norm
lol ive been there and they failed my sunfire when my high beam switch was broken. mostly drag id say as far as what type of driving, but i dont think im going to put the drag spings on my car. well see how it handles first with the new rubber.
mostly engine upgrade, should say im looking for upgrades that improve the life of my engine and add some gains.
do you remember last winter? i dint even see black top for a full month! nah but i just would rather have it as my summer or weekend car. going from a FWD to RWD even the rain is harsh. this car is my baby and i want to take care of it, simple lol.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:43 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChrisIA
but about that black lung, i read that its actually normal for the manifold to flex as it sucks in more air from the thro body, so it flexs all the time when you rev up the rpm.
no, its not normal... lol Ford looked into after they were called on it and said it will not do any harm.... but they sure didin't design it to do that. Also the flexing works opposite what your thinking, its not flexing out from more air, its returning to normal with lack of vacuum on it.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:48 AM
ChrisIA
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
The thing is, you are easly spending enough to supercharge it with a safe reliable kit, and put yourself up by like 150hp. The other part is, if you go with these parts then later supercharge it, you will replace 90% of them and never make your money back. Look into these kits and consider wisely. They are not more then your looking to spend and are proven to work well. Also are listed as 50 street legal.
http://www.brenspeed.com/v3vortech.html
http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1194

Considering the money you are about to drop, these would be a much better choice.
i actually only only just looked at those two SC. damn those are very nice deals! does the Vortech really provide more gain then the Roush though? at those prices i would actually consider the supercharger.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:16 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

yeah, that votech kit they put together is proven to perform. Especialy where you live where you dont need to worry about 120+ degree days. There have been plenty of members here running brenspeeds Vortech or Paxton kit (both same price) and making advertised power in a very reliable manner. Plus its upgradeable, much more so then the Roush, so if you ever decide to go all out, it will handle a very good amount of mods.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChrisIA
going from a FWD to RWD even the rain is harsh.
It is pretty easy to get the tail loose in the wet, on some roads more than others due to pavement differences.

With that in mind, know that any tune that is designed to quicken throttle response to your pedal inputs will make things slightly "touchier" still. I'm only guessing here, but I'd expect the so-called "xx-octane race tunes" to be a little worse in this respect.

You have to forget all of the sloppy driving "techniques" that you can usually get away with in low to moderately powered FWD cars. Learn the fine throttle control now that you probably didn't even think about in FWD and certainly didn't worry about needing to know.

Norm
Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 AM
ChrisIA
1st Gear Member

deff true Norm. i think i got off topic here a little and dint make my intentions towards my vehicle clear, im not use to being around so many people who like to make their cars faster and got carried away.
i want to do mods that will help the life of my engine and add power gain at the same time, AKA run cooler cleaner (obviously supercharger just is a terrible idea with this in mind). its going to be my weekend car. the rims and tires are just to improve traction, and give the possibility to add a big brake kit if i decide to in the future. the exhaust is just something i like.
but will the throttle body, 93 octane tune, and a short ram intake help (keep in mind im putting on the gts-4 hood to feed it cool air)? also ford intake manifold wont cut it (thank you Walton for all your help there). any suggestions on a better one?
and yes a water pump is also on my list.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:11 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

Odd list of mods. Tune and 4.10's are a lot of fun. The rest isn't really cost effective.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:01 PM
yellowblz11
1st Gear Member

how bout gears, header back exhaust, intake, tune, maybe lowering springs!!? just for now anyway, then think bout big brake kit
Old 10-27-2010, 06:00 PM
ChrisIA
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by yellowblz11
how bout gears, header back exhaust, intake, tune, maybe lowering springs!!? just for now anyway, then think bout big brake kit
big brake kit is low on the list. i will do them but it will be awhile. im going to be doing a stage two kevlar clutch as well as ford performance hot rod cams. but i really need advice on the intake manifold. anyone have any good suggestions since the Ford one suffers from black lung?

Quick Reply: Mod help