Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:22 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Default Clutch Recommendations

I did a quick search, but didn't really find anything (although I remember some discussions about it a few years ago...just couldn't find them).

My clutch decided to go on a long vacation (along with my synchros), so I find myself in need of a new one. Since the labor is free (with it all torn apart), I don't really just want to replace it with the OEM one since I know there are better options available.

I'm looking for something that is good for daily driving (in traffic) and will hold at the track (I'm only at 303 to the wheels so I don't need a huge beefy one). But I also need to pedal pressure to be no worse than stock (my wife is all of 5'2" and 105lbs and she drives the car too).

Any recommendations on what to get and where to get it? Thanks I would really appreciate any quick responses.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I'd go with Exedy or Mcloed.

STAY AWAY FROM SPEC AND CENTERFORCE.
SPEC IS CRAP. I had to replace mine right after break in period and MANY people are having problems with them.
Mcloed is good but most people get the twin disc and I don't see a need for that at your level by any means.

A lesson I also learned. By a MATCHING flywheel of the same brand.
Fitment issues CAN happen with stock flywheels despite what people say and better to have it done right and not have to worry about it the first time.

Be aware that the Exedy Flywheel is lighter than stock even though it is steel.
I was worried about this at first but I can tell barely any difference in it and the stock flywheel as far as daily driving. You have to give it a few more RPMs from a start but NOTHING drastic at all like with a light weight aluminum one.

Plus I have noticed some top end power gain due to a little less rotational mass weight.
It's not exactly the same as a stock flywheel but it is not at all like the light weight aluminum ones from the feedback I have received. BY that I mean I have never driven an aluminum flywheel car but the Exedy flywheel is not what people with aluminum ones have described to me. Road driving is NO problem with the lightweight steel one from Exedy.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 10-21-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:41 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

McLeod clutches.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:43 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I'd go with Exedy or Mcloed.

STAY AWAY FROM SPEC AND CENTERFORCE.
SPEC IS CRAP. I had to replace mine right after break in period and MANY people are having problems with them.
Wow, that is a pretty bad endorsement for Spec. And if they are that bad, considering how expensive they are, if they are indeed full of problems, they will not last long as a company.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:13 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

I've had Spec clutches in three of the 5 mustangs that I've had. I put a lot of miles on them all with no troubles at all. One of the guys that is in our local club has gone through 2 Mcleod cluctches in his stang in less than a year and switched to an Exedy because he was fed up with Mcleod. Mcleod is still a good clutch, I think they are all good clutches, but it just depends. I run my whipple powered car with a spec, and it performs fine.

Last edited by americaniron; 10-21-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:14 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

When making parts choices you have to weed out the spikes in product reviews, if you took to heart every bad review you saw, you'd not buy anything.
I say stick with a big name, they didn't get big by selling crap.
Sure you'll find the occasional person who wants to bring down a company because he (or his buddy) had a bad experience but these are blips for the most part.

I would be looking at Spec or McLeod, the deciding factor would essentially come down to availability and price.