Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge set up

Old 10-25-2010, 05:15 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Default Gauge set up

Have a few questions regarding gauges. Getting the blower soon. Was going to get water temp, a/f sideband, and a boost gauge. Can someone point me in the right direction as the difference between mechanical and electric gauges? Like what do they require to operate, any suggestions? Links would be nice!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:12 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

not sure what the difference between the two are but i have heard that u should not skimp out on gauges. Meaning do not get the 100 dollar gauges as they do not read correctly when tuners are giving the car a dyno run.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:47 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I'm guessing you're talking about the sensor set up and not the gauge itself . . .

Mechanical gauges require you to run the source being measured (boost, oil pressure, etc) to the gauge itself.

Electric ones let you install the sensors remotely and then you just run 1-3 electrical wires back to the gauge. Usually much easier on the install.

If you're talking about the gauges themselves, then its just the readout format. Needles are mechanical, digital numbers are electric.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:55 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

All wideband gauges use a wideband sensor and a controller, with a gauge to display the values, usually digitally.
Boost/vac is a good choice, and a mechanical one is really easy to hook up, since you run a vacuum line to the gauge.

A fuel pressure gauge should be your third gauge, and it should have an electric sensor. This will be somewhat costly, but important to see your fuel pressure; although, from experience, if you start running out of fuel pressure, the wideband will start showing lean as well.

Water temp I'd do only if I needed to fill in a gauge position.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:18 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
All wideband gauges use a wideband sensor and a controller, with a gauge to display the values, usually digitally.
Boost/vac is a good choice, and a mechanical one is really easy to hook up, since you run a vacuum line to the gauge.

A fuel pressure gauge should be your third gauge, and it should have an electric sensor. This will be somewhat costly, but important to see your fuel pressure; although, from experience, if you start running out of fuel pressure, the wideband will start showing lean as well.

Water temp I'd do only if I needed to fill in a gauge position.
So Boost, Wideband, and Fuel pressure are the final contestants lol.

I understand how the boost gauge works, kind of like a T on your vacuum line coming off the intake manifold correct? I have also gathered that the wideband has its own sensor and controller I am starting to get it down packed lol. So the fuel pressure gauge has to be electrical? If I can see when I start losing fuel on the wideband it starts heading towards the lean side, why bother?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:49 AM
mdg
4th Gear Member

I had Brenspeed install my gauges when they installed the Vortech. I went with the Autometer Cobalt series, boost and A/F wideband. I also purchased the A-pillar pod, perfect match. Wasn't cheap, love it!
Old 10-26-2010, 12:48 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
So Boost, Wideband, and Fuel pressure are the final contestants lol.

I understand how the boost gauge works, kind of like a T on your vacuum line coming off the intake manifold correct? I have also gathered that the wideband has its own sensor and controller I am starting to get it down packed lol. So the fuel pressure gauge has to be electrical? If I can see when I start losing fuel on the wideband it starts heading towards the lean side, why bother?
boost gauge can be mechanical
fuel pressure must be electric if the gauge is mounted in the car.

fuel pressure is not necessary, and no gauge is necessary, but its better if you have it.
what if your a/f is lean, but your fuel pressure is normal?
you wouldn't be able to tell if you didn't have a fuel pressure gauge.
but again it is not necessary.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:07 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
boost gauge can be mechanical
fuel pressure must be electric if the gauge is mounted in the car.

fuel pressure is not necessary, and no gauge is necessary, but its better if you have it.
what if your a/f is lean, but your fuel pressure is normal?
you wouldn't be able to tell if you didn't have a fuel pressure gauge.
but again it is not necessary.
Thanks I see what you are saying. I will more then likely go ahead and do Boost, Fuel pressure, and A/f.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:56 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

Innovate Motorsports makes a good A/F gauge as long as you make sure they mount the bung correctly!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:21 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AlloySixxer
Innovate Motorsports makes a good A/F gauge as long as you make sure they mount the bung correctly!
Lol I may just get the dyno tune and do without the gauges initially.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gauge set up