Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed Emissions - Help Please !

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:41 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Default Failed Emissions - Help Please !

Took the car today for emissions (all obd2 port, no sniff in exhaust) and it failed the 1st time for "READINESS". This was with a VMP 93 tune for cold air, gears, and cmdp. I wasn't surprised so...

I went home and installed the Bama 93 race tune that was on it last year for the same mods - it PASSED last Novemeber. Well it failed again today for "READINESS". I talked to a well known local shop here and they thought since I just flashed it that it hasn't gone through enough ignition cycles...drive, cool down, drive, cool down, etc. hence readiness issue.

Is this the case? Does anyone know how many ignition cycles I'll have to go through and if this will eventually pass the "READINESS" issue?
Old 11-17-2010, 03:50 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

When mine failed, I loaded up the emissions tune from Brenspeed the next morning before work. Drove to work then afterwards I drove back to the shop and passed. 80 miles total. I think its a mileage thing, not on/off cycles. My car was only turned on/off probably 3 times.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:00 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise
When mine failed, I loaded up the emissions tune from Brenspeed the next morning before work. Drove to work then afterwards I drove back to the shop and passed. 80 miles total. I think its a mileage thing, not on/off cycles. My car was only turned on/off probably 3 times.
thanks ffk - I'm going to drive the heck out of it tomorrow - I've got to get this passed by friday afternoon. I am confident the tune will pass if I can get past the readiness thing.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

It's not the number of miles you drive or just the number of times you start the car. It's whether or not certain driving conditionsare met that allows all of the sensors to go through their required checks.

If you drive about 15 minutes around town. Turn the car off and let it cool down for a few hours then drive it on the freeway for about 15 minutes you should be fine. Some sensors do require additional igntion cycles to be "ready".

THere's info in most repair manuals about how to complete a "Sensor Readiness Drive Cycle" or somethign along those lines. The Owners manual may even have it. It's a lot of steps but if you think about it, under normal driving conditions you do most if not all of them.

P.S. if your tune shuts off the rear O2 sensors you may never be "ready" because the OBDII never receives confirmation from the sensor its gone through its check.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:22 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
It's not the number of miles you drive or just the number of times you start the car. It's whether or not certain driving conditionsare met that allows all of the sensors to go through their required checks.

If you drive about 15 minutes around town. Turn the car off and let it cool down for a few hours then drive it on the freeway for about 15 minutes you should be fine. Some sensors do require additional igntion cycles to be "ready".

THere's info in most repair manuals about how to complete a "Sensor Readiness Drive Cycle" or somethign along those lines. The Owners manual may even have it. It's a lot of steps but if you think about it, under normal driving conditions you do most if not all of them.

P.S. if your tune shuts off the rear O2 sensors you may never be "ready" because the OBDII never receives confirmation from the sensor its gone through its check.
derf00 - Thank you. All makes sense. I'm not sure if this tune turns off rear o2s and I can't keep going back. So I might just order an emission tune and drive around for 2 days.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

http://www.cleanairforce.com/docs/readiness.pdf
Old 11-17-2010, 05:21 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RideMyAssOff
Sweet - will go through this tomorrow - thanks
Old 11-17-2010, 06:07 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I believe its a matter of mileage after reflash aswell.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Drive about 30 miles in three speed ranges form 0-20, 20-40, and 40+
Old 11-18-2010, 06:54 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpartaPerformance
Drive about 30 miles in three speed ranges form 0-20, 20-40, and 40+
Thanks everyone - will try today

Quick Reply: Failed Emissions - Help Please !