Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Buying 2006 GT:)

Old 12-08-2010, 10:02 AM
winner99
3rd Gear Member

Default Help Buying 2006 GT:)

So I sold my procharged 04 v6 a week ago and Im looking for a new stang, got a great deal on it since it was a salvage title. Im looking for an automatic because my commute blows, only reason I sold it and I was killing the clutch before, like 40mins in stop and go up hills.. I found this 06 GT, 70k miles, in great condition, good owner he has 4 cars and is moving from nj to cali, doesn't want to take it. He still owes $11k. Lucky him he got it at 0%. It seems like a great deal but I have some questions. What are the issues with the S197's? Im use to my 04 and knew it extremely well. Also how does the process go at the dealership before I sit down? Would I be able to drive it asap since Im basically buying it from the dealership? Sorry for the dumb questions but Im 23 and never did this before. Thanks for any help!

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/2089766788.html
Old 12-08-2010, 11:03 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Have you had the car inspected? He didn't give a lot of information in his ad. If you're just taking over his payments, the deal won't be made in the dealership, but at whatever bank it's financed through. I suppose it could be financed through the dealership. You need to be sure of what you're getting, in that you are getting sole ownership (once the car is paid off) of the car, and that it's not simply some lease you're buying into.

If it were me, I'd probably skip over this one and just look for something elsewhere. But I guess I'd want to see the car in person and know more details of the deal before I made that call.

Issues with the 197s can be found in the forum stickies.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:14 AM
winner99
3rd Gear Member

Of course its being inspected lol I want the performance shop do that. And yes its financed through Ford.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Check this thread out...

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-new-home.html
Old 12-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

In addition to the shop inspection, YOU need to be aware of the TSB's associated with the S197's (there are a dozen or so, some serious if the car is a victim). A car with the water leak issue, for example, may eventually not be worth it's weight in scrap metal.

What's the guy asking? If it's $11k and the car is in good shape, that's a decent deal.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:33 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
In addition to the shop inspection, YOU need to be aware of the TSB's associated with the S197's (there are a dozen or so, some serious if the car is a victim). A car with the water leak issue, for example, may eventually not be worth it's weight in scrap metal.

What's the guy asking? If it's $11k and the car is in good shape, that's a decent deal.
+1

This is the case to do in any used car situation. Make sure to get a carfax at least before you even think about buying it. I see that it has a sunroof, but I'm 99% sure that's aftermarket, since I don't think any Mustangs come with a sunroof.

70K miles isn't too bad for the price of 11K. That's actually pretty decent for a S197. If all looks well with the car, hop on it. That's a steal.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:08 PM
winner99
3rd Gear Member

Yes of course the car fax. It is cheap and the owner seems very legit, doesn't want to really sell it. And ya the sunroof i was like WTF. My only complaint.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:11 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tightdogal
+1

I see that it has a sunroof, but I'm 99% sure that's aftermarket, since I don't think any Mustangs come with a sunroof.
I know it could be the highest quality install job in the world, but that would make me a bit leery. Maybe I'm just a tard.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:13 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

If your mechanic says everything is okay with the car and clean carfax, then woot. I'd be all over that, like I said. 11K is a very good price for that. Around here, that car would probably still be 14-16K with those miles on it.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

14-16k with 70k mi?

Dayum yall are expensive where you are then.

I'd make SURE to do what was said.

1. CARFAX- check everything out on the history.

2. Have a mechanic go through the thing with a fine tooth comb. Maybe even have him take the dam thing to a car wash and make sure nothing leaks into the interior too with the sunroof thing.

3. Check all Ford TSB's- You can be sure you will need to perform the spark plug TSB.
Spark plugs are breaking off these cars and its almost time to change those ones anyways so you need to be WELL AWARE of the spark plug removal procedure and the risks involved. I would have them replaced by a dealership who is EXPERIENCED with removing the plugs in the cars with THIS problem. Otherwise you could be looking at
a thousand dollar spark plug change.
Also.. check the other TSB's and on the ones you can have your mech. check for easily, have him check for the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help Buying 2006 GT:)