Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which oil to stop brake squeaking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Default Which oil to stop brake squeaking?

My brakes squeak every time I hit the brakes... also the car doesn't stop very good. What kind of oil will make it quieter? Will a good coat of WD-40 on the rotors help?

Okay... just kidding. Now that I have your attention...

I've noticed that I have a little play in my brake pedal. It's not much, but since we are talking brakes, I'm concerned. Fluid levels are fine and the pads are brand new (only put them on about two months ago) a quick check shows that they are wearing evenly and have plenty of friction material on them. And the car is stopping fine, no problems at all. What else could cause a little slack in the pedal?

It's one of those things that is so small that another person testing my car might not even notice... but I have my foot on that pedal every day and I'm SURE that there has been a change.

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the joke... I couldn't resist.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:19 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fifthwind
My brakes squeak every time I hit the brakes... also the car doesn't stop very good. What kind of oil will make it quieter? Will a good coat of WD-40 on the rotors help?

I've noticed that I have a little play in my brake pedal. It's not much, but since we are talking brakes, I'm concerned. Fluid levels are fine and the pads are brand new (only put them on about two months ago) a quick check shows that they are wearing evenly and have plenty of friction material on them. And the car is stopping fine, no problems at all. What else could cause a little slack in the pedal?

It's one of those things that is so small that another person testing my car might not even notice... but I have my foot on that pedal every day and I'm SURE that there has been a change.

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the joke... I couldn't resist.
When you say the fluid levels are fine, is that just from topping off the old DOT3 stuff from day 1? As I understand it, the fluid is extremely hygroscopic and will absorb moisture right out of the air... Perhaps your fluid is too old and in need of flushing?

Don
Old 01-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Try the adjusters. I'm not sure about our S197's but on my SUV's I could drive in reverse and pump the e-brake. A few cycles of that would bring the pedal up a bit.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Try the adjusters. I'm not sure about our S197's but on my SUV's I could drive in reverse and pump the e-brake. A few cycles of that would bring the pedal up a bit.
Really? I've never heard of that at all. Is there somewhere that gives the steps for our cars? I'm sure it's different for every type of vehicle. In the meantime, I'll try what you said.

Thanks. (Now, about that WD-40... )
Old 01-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

... (Now, about that WD-40... )
Be sure to spray it not just on your brakes and sidewalls, but on the tread, too. It'll stop that annoying tire squeal when turning corners too fast. (Of course, the squeal will be replaced with metal hitting tree)
Old 01-07-2011, 04:14 PM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
That would only apply if you had drum brakes.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

You got me really nervous for a second lol

I have Hawk HPS pads, which are supposed to be high performance (I think they suck) and they're prone to making noise. Some pads are noisier than others

Last edited by Alec; 01-07-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I understand you are kidding about the WD-40. But do the brakes squeal or not? If they do, its your new pads, probably not bedded well or its a type of pad prone to squealing. If not...no worries. What pads by the way?

Did you bleed the brakes when you installed the new pads? If yes, then you may have accidentally introduced some air into the line. Either way - you should try bleeding them and see if it fixes the issue.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:35 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

When you say slack in the pedal? Is it a dead spot, or just a slow response, or soft feel??
Old 01-07-2011, 07:35 PM
atomicpunk
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by smokinAMD
That would only apply if you had drum brakes.
The rear brake calipers have adjusters in them for the parking brake, thats why you have to rotate them while applying pressure to get the piston to retract when you replace the rear pads.
On my previous car the pedal would firm up good for a while after the anti-lock brakes activated screwing around in the snow.

Quick Reply: Which oil to stop brake squeaking?