Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with my Convertible Top PLEASE Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 01:40 PM
GiMiX
2nd Gear Member

Unhappy Problem with my Convertible Top PLEASE Help!!!

Hey guys I have a problem with my convertible top. I have a 2006 GT Convertible. My mustang has been outside through all the years (no garage) through all the seasons of weather. My problem is that the back window of my convertible top, due to weather temperature change and wear and tear, I noticed that the lining from the vinyl that is holding the back window has slowly moved up a good centimeter all around the window and pretty soon there is not going to be much vinyl holding the back window anymore! I'm now afraid to even put the top down anymore since i feel like its just gonna loosen the vinyl from the back window more. Is there Any kind of adhesive maybe some sort of Super glue type or some kind of liquid concealer I can use all around the window from getting it worse? Or Do i have to replace the back window professionally or even the Whole top( im financially low atm) ? If so can someone give me specific instructions on any help suggestions PLEASE!!! Thanks guys! does anyone else have the same problem? my car is almost 5 years old.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:44 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I would say take it to a shop and get ideas. Most of the time, when things have gone this far, it calls for a new top. My '07 GT Vert ran about $1200 at local shops when I was arguing with Ford over one of the three times it was replaced in 36,000 miles.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:02 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

If I had a rag top, with the first sign of trouble I would have to invest in something like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAAuWO0cQbA

I did see this on the Forums here;

https://mustangforums.com/forum/must...e-hardtop.html
Old 01-12-2011, 03:11 PM
GTRaider
1st Gear Member

I have exactly the same thing on my 2005. I took it to 2 places and they both said it was a new top only as the rear window is not a separate piece. Apparently some tops can have just the rear section of the top replaced but not Mustangs.

My quotes were $1200 to $1400 but that was last Spring. I am planning on calling them back to see what it would be now - thinking they might not be as busy and mine get's put away for the Winter anyway. If I do get it done, it can sit for the rest of the Winter with the top up.

I've not heard of a way to re-seal the window. If there is, I would be interested - though mine is probably too far gone now.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:54 PM
GiMiX
2nd Gear Member

Thx for the input keep me updated on what yall do and ill do the same..this sucks I do not have the money Atleast for awhile for a new top lol
Old 01-12-2011, 06:41 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Same thing happened to my sisters 07. Rear window starting coming loose from the vinyl. Ford refused to cover it under warranty so she had to spend $1600 getting a new top installed. At least it has a 5 year warranty.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:29 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

Well if it was still under bumper to bumper warranty then ford should have fixed it under warranty. WTF? I do remember a few months after I bought my 2010 I was hanging out with my brother and one of his buddies stopped by who owns his own upholstery and convertible top company and he was saying what a PITA those rear windows are on the mustang.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:10 AM
GTRaider
1st Gear Member

I bought my car from a Used Car Dealer in September 2009. The top was already coming loose from the top. He was going to have a new top put on but I liked the car in every other way because the body was in excellent shape so I offered less money if I took it "as is". I figured he would just have the cheapest top he could get put on and I felt the car deserved better.

I don't drive it in the rain anyway so I've dragged my feet in getting the new top put on but now, I think I'm going to go ahead with it.

There are quite a few companies out there who make the tops. Mustangs come with a vinyl top but I was thinking of putting on a cloth top instead. Are there any others out there who have replaced their tops with cloth and are you happy or sorry you didn't just put on the same top as it came with?

I know one thing... I'm not going to get a Ford replacement top and have to do this all again on a few years.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:32 PM
GiMiX
2nd Gear Member

I hear you. Definetly Just in case what compaines are out there for top replacement for the 2005-2009 msutangs and if anyone else has replaced it? Is it easy enough to do it yourself? Man i Cannot afford a new top forever.. but from the comments so far it seems like thats the only option huh. Man these tops suck!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:57 PM
GTRaider
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GiMiX
I hear you. Definetly Just in case what compaines are out there for top replacement for the 2005-2009 msutangs and if anyone else has replaced it? Is it easy enough to do it yourself? Man i Cannot afford a new top forever.. but from the comments so far it seems like thats the only option huh. Man these tops suck!
Possible to do yourself? I suppose but like a lot of things - not for the faint of heart. Since I've been looking, I've come to the conclusion that I would NOT try it on my own. I consider myself a decent craftsman/mechanic but that's just one thing I would leave to an expert. They're all around so check the Yellow Pages or online sites and go and talk to someone to get an idea what it will cost. For that, they don't charge you. Find someone who gives you a good vibe and then start saving. i've spoken with two guys so far. One I liked and the other I thought was a jerk! I have one more to see and then I'll decide.

The cost for the tops without labor run from around $400 to upwards of $900. I'm just going from memory there so don't shoot me if I'm a little off. I recall reading that it takes about 8 hours for a trained installer.

Here are a few links that I found:

http://www.robbinsautotopco.com/ford.php

http://www.autotopsdirect.com/Ford-M...-Tops-s/43.htm

http://www.convertibletopguys.com/co...0-Ford-Mustang

And here's a link to show how to do it. This was done on a 95 but it shows the steps involved:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4446394_chan...d-mustang.html

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Problem with my Convertible Top PLEASE Help!!!