Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

foam door seal

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:51 PM
azmustang

Default foam door seal

I've been trying to figure out how I can remove the foam seal from the drivers side pillar weatherstriping, its between the body and the trim(see pics). A few weeks after I bought the car I noticed the foam seal was coming out but the dealer said they wouldnt fix it (bought it used, they told me it happens to alot of mustangs left on the lot/ in the sun for to long) and I just trimmed it down at the time now its been almost two years later and I've had to trim it down a few times and it just keeps coming back. so my question is how do you get to that seal, do I get at it from the outside or inside, is there any push pins I might break, and if there are any tip to doing this? thanks

Old 01-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Bigorangek9
1st Gear Member

Mine is doing the same thing, never trimmed it though, looks kinda crappy. Obviously another one of Ford's bright ideas. Hope someone here has fixed this problem, I'm interested in finding a fix myself.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:58 PM
azmustang

ya, it kind of sucks seeing that every day. I know ford sells the foam strip that goes inside, its about $30 per side I just can't justify taking my car to the dealer to fix it when I can do it my self with some help.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:44 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Yup, same thing here.
Hopefully somebody has a fix.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:00 PM
azmustang

well I ordered the seal today from ford (it had to be special ordered) so if no one knows how to do this I'll by the time it gets in I'll try to figure it out.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:19 PM
azmustang

Ok I finally fixed it, heres how to do it.

make sure you have a 15 size torx bit for the screws that hold on the window trim to the car and some kind of solution (like goo gone) to take off the old seal and tape. Also do this one side at a time so you can see how it goes back togather if you need to.

first take off the a-pillar trim on the inside of the car off. they are just held in by clips so all you have to do is pull down and slide back to take it off.

next is to pull the rubber molding thats along the window trim down. you dont have to take it all the way off, I just let the rubber hang by the pins at the front and rear of the srtip.
(this was taken at the end so ignore the trim already being gone)

once the rubber is away from the trim you'll see the torx screws that are holding it on along with two push pins that come out when you take it off. you might need to move it around a little to get it off of the car depending on if the seal is stuck to the car or not.

now that is off time to clean the old seal off the trim

I cleaned the trim using goo gone to take off the seal followed by a mix of dish soap and water so it got what ever was left of the goo gone off of the trim so the seal would stick. let it dry out before putting the seal on

the part that you get from ford is just a long strip of tape with foam on the back so all you have to do is slowly undo the backing and stick it on while trying to keep it in a somewhat straight line.

now from hear its just the reverse, start to put everthing back togather. I had to move a few things around to get them to sit right thats why I suggest doing this one side at a time so that you can see how it should look if you need to. and there you have it no more foam to ruin the look of your stang.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:24 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I was going to be doing this exact same thing this spring! haha. I can't stand how mine looks right now. Looks great BTW and thanks for doing such a great write-up!

Last edited by bakerjd; 02-02-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:07 AM
Bigorangek9
1st Gear Member

Great info, mine will get done soon! Thanks for the help, & pics.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:30 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I am totally doing this when it warms up. Mine looks terrible! By the way, WASH THAT CAR! Hahaha.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:43 PM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

EXCELLENT write-up! Mine doesn't need it, but if/when it does, I now know how to fix it! Thanks!

Quick Reply: foam door seal