Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JBA shorty header install saturday

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Default RE: JBA shorty header install saturday

Well headers are the hardest part of the exhaust. Everything else in the exhaust seems to be striaght forward.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:01 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

I have a set of JBA L/T's for sale for $400 here:

https://mustangforums.com/m_1977994/...tm.htm#1977994
Old 09-17-2006, 06:04 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hibbitsb

I used the previous tune setup for 92 Octane and my Steeda CAI. I realize it would change anything, I was just grasping at straws. When I called the custom tune shop I didn't talk with the actual guy that does the tunes, but his assistant didn't think a new computer tune was necessary. I only have 23,000 miles on it, but this morning when I fired it up it smelled a little like rotton eggs. That makes me think I'm having some O2 sensor problems which may explain the whole issue. Any thoughts?
Could be the vacuum lines... Id check them for leaks or a broken fitting. And I would say it could be the timing but you said youre still running the same tune you were correct?
Old 09-17-2006, 06:33 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Well, the smell you have could be the oil from the inside of the headers burning off. Or, if you got greasy handprints on the outside of the headers (or anywhere else on the exhaust system) it will smell as it "cooks off". It's normal to have odd smells for a little while after installing new exhaust parts. If it sticks around after you've put some miles on the car, then it's something else. Are you getting any codes thrown?

I don't have any personal experience with the O2 sensors "wearing out" or going bad, but in general O2 sensors are very sensitive to chemical contamination. For example, if you touch the "tip" of the sensor with greasy fingers, that's asking for trouble. It's possible that if there was some gunge inside your headers when you installed them, it could have "poisoned" the O2 sensors. But, if the sensor is giving a bad reading, you'd probably be getting a check engine light and a code.

Timmay is right about the exhaust system complexity, BTW. The difference in the installation complextity and time between putting shortys on a car and putting LTs on a car is only about 30 min (out of 5 hours) If you get a kit from any of the major suppliers (Dynatech, Kooks, American Racing...) then it just bolts on. with only a tiny bit more effort than the Shortys. The only exception is if you try to get by on the cheap and you don't buy a kit, you get JUST the headers--then you have to have someone custom modify your H-pipe, and that would be time consuming. But, if you ask me that's dumb. You'd be spending more $$$ on labor then you would just buying the complete kit.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:49 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Al - come on. It took me a whole 30 minutes to custom fab an h-pipe for the headers. L/T's for $450 with shipping is a steal and you know it. Total price with instalation at a reputable shop with X or H pipe and cats, catless, or high flow would still be less than just the price of the headers alone.

Makes a lot of sense to buy a set for $450...

Old 09-17-2006, 07:08 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

Al - come on. It took me a whole 30 minutes to custom fab an h-pipe for the headers. L/T's for $450 with shipping is a steal and you know it. Total price with instalation at a reputable shop with X or H pipe and cats, catless, or high flow would still be less than just the price of the headers alone.

Makes a lot of sense to buy a set for $450...

Oh, I agree with you completely. $450 for the JBAs is a steal!

But, keep in mind that you and I would have no trouble doing the fab work ourselves. I wouldn't trust the average muffler shop to modify my H-pipe, and even then I doubt they'd to it for a mere half-hour of labor. Furthermore, those headers are fairly unique in how easily they fit onto a "modified stock" H-pipe. Some of the other headers, like the Hookers, require a lot more complex fab work unless you buy their matching midpipe.

My main point is that in most cases the longtube install is only marginally more difficult/time consuming than shorties--particularly if you get a complete kit.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:13 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Agreed - okay now I understand your point...lol - I thought you were trying to say I was giving a bad deal out there...LOL

BTW - they sold already. But yes, normally I would not recommend trying to get a set of L/T's on thier own either. The JBA's are lucky in that there are little to no clearance issues and yes, most of the other kits are a little trickier. I honestly would not recommend anyone doing a L/T install by themselves if they aren't confident. Not that it's a big deal, but just my opinion. I'm glad you brought up the gains points because any shorties are a waste of money IMHO. I am actually saddended I had to give mine up but such is the price you pay for a turbo....

I have broken 10 tensioners and 15 belts in the last 3 weeks and I am done with serpentine chargers...[:@] I have used the reichard racing tensioner, the F150 5.4 tensioner and even 2 stock tensioners welded together. The last run at the track (friday) tore the entire pulley off at the bolt in the Burnout Box! I sold the vortech cause it is never going to handle 800 hp and Mike at powerhouse is custom making me a 76mm unit on a controller for 20-24 psi. Should be interesting. I'll keep you posted Al how it goes...

BTW - here's that tensioner pulley from the other night I was talking about.... Freakin' Vorturd!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/45048/A1A5701457B54242B4518B71522A1B8B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/45048/B0DF4C94943E4B3EA0B67719736B197A.jpg[/IMG]