Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tpms sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:15 AM
OutlawFirebird
1st Gear Member

Default tpms sensor question

Ok so I have been looking for new wheels and tires for my 07 gt, and I have come acrose that I need to buy a tpms sensor kit or a new bracket for the new rims. so my question is when the time comes, I have to buy four new sensors or four new brackets right? cause each rims has one right?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I don't think your '07 uses TPMS. Check your owners' manual (and your dash for the indicator lamp when you start it up) to be certain. Should your car not have the TPMS system, you absolutely do NOT need to get them. Online wheel sources only talk about TPMS because later model years that use the same wheels do have TPMS.

Of course, even for a 2008 and up car you can still get and use wheels without TPMS, provided that you're willing to live with the TPMS lamp remaining lit. As far as I know, there is no Federal requirement to keep the TPMS system fully operational with sensors mounted and transmitting pressure information, only that you can't disconnect or remove the lamp.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-09-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:26 AM
KingB21
2nd Gear Member

If you do order the sensors, you need to buy 4 of each. Do not buy them from the fors dealership, they are almost 100bucks each. you can get all 4 online for that price. My winter rims I never added the senors, sometimes the warning light come on, other times it does not... weird.

But like Norm said, check if the 07 has it.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:09 AM
PistolPez73
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I don't think your '07 uses TPMS. Check your owners' manual (and your dash for the indicator lamp when you start it up) to be certain. Should your car not have the TPMS system, you absolutely do NOT need to get them. Online wheel sources only talk about TPMS because later model years that use the same wheels do have TPMS.

Of course, even for a 2008 and up car you can still get and use wheels without TPMS, provided that you're willing to live with the TPMS lamp remaining lit. As far as I know, there is no Federal requirement to keep the TPMS system fully operational with sensors mounted and transmitting pressure information, only that you can't disconnect or remove the lamp.

Norm
My '07 has the TPMS sensors. You can get TPMS kits at most wheel/tire shops....Cruizin Concepts for example.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:15 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Correct me if im wrong, but all you have to do is hit the reset button at each startup to get rid of the light on the dash.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:25 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Sorry guys, but you are all incorrect.

2007 model and later by federal law required the TPMS sensors be installed. If you have a 07, you have the sensors.

You cannot just reset the sensors the light will never go off permanently.

You do not need to buy 4 new sensors, you only need to purchase new bands for the sensors. The sensors can be moved to your new rims, as long as you purchase a new "set" meaning all 4 (1 for each tire) of bands.

I purchased mine at Discount Tire, so you can pretty much get them anywhere, then they can mount your existing sensors on your new rims.

Once installed whoever mounts your tires or even the dealership can re-adjust them to work on your new rims.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson

Norm
Norm to clarify my post, it is a federal requirement for the automaker, but not the owner to keep them. You can remove them once you buy it, but the light will never go off if you do
Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me bro. Guess im going to pony up some more $$ and get them installed...I am not looking at that light the whole time!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I think I paid $50 bucks while I was getting my rims/tires installed to have them put new bands on. It wasn't bad at all, it will be more if you do it after the fact, but I hate lights on my dash
Old 02-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
...I am not looking at that light the whole time!
That's exactly why they won't let you disable the lamp - so that the nuisance value of it always being on will **** you off enough to make you go get it corrected. The Federal discussion on this point says exactly that, though in somewhat different language.

I don't care to be manipulated like that, for something that was brought on mainly as a result of a relatively few problems that occurred in completely different categories of vehicle and tires (Explorer).

I know that TPMS was phased in over some period of time, with some cars getting it before others. And I think the mfrs could get some sort of credit by adding it into their fleet faster than the gov't-set schedule. But I don't know just when any given model got it; it could have been as simple as a running production change.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-09-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: tpms sensor question