Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas from walmart?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:08 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Most stations blend the 87 and 93 (or 91) on site to make 89 or whatever the mid grade is. Usually the blend ratio is set to favor the premium a bit to be on the safe side (typically 65%/35% instead of the mathematical 66.66%/33.33%). That might be why their 89 tested higher. Also, there are different testing methods, and what you see on the dispenser is the average of two of them.

I would not bank on octane levels being higher than advertised.

I agree that buying at a high turnover station is a good strategy. Today's gas just doesn't last as long as it used to, plus a high turnover station has less chance of having water contamination in the tanks.

One thing I find interesting is that when a batch of fuel is piped somewhere, there is usually nothing separating it from the batches on either side of it. Therefore, there is some commingling of product. This gets dumped into a holding tank and is separated later.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:15 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I go to shell because it has pumps that don't fill my tank 1/4 and shut off. I know its a TSB but for some stations/pumps the thing just registers the tank as full. And other newer stations usually have no problem and are a little faster in filling (which is nice during the winter haha)
Old 02-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I work at Walmart also and pretty much always go to Murphy's.
I haven't had any problems with their gas, and the pumps don't make my tank shut off as much. All my friends who work at Walmart and have Mustangs use Murphy's too.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:23 PM
jessejamesiv
1st Gear Member

I work for Advance Auto Parts and there is a brand new murphy (wally world gas house) right across the street I don't know how many times a day I see people literally pull out of murphy and right into our parking lot not knowing what the problem is... usually a good full injector cleaner or octane boost cleans up the prob. but I nor any of my employees ever buy gas here because this problem... I'm sure not all are the same but I am just hesitant myself.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:29 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jessejamesiv
I work for Advance Auto Parts and there is a brand new murphy (wally world gas house) right across the street I don't know how many times a day I see people literally pull out of murphy and right into our parking lot not knowing what the problem is... usually a good full injector cleaner or octane boost cleans up the prob. but I nor any of my employees ever buy gas here because this problem... I'm sure not all are the same but I am just hesitant myself.
Are you talking about the tank shut off? Cause if that's really all it takes to remedy that annoying problem, I might take the time of day this weekend to fix it.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Bigorangek9
1st Gear Member

I buy gas at Wal mart when it's convenient, it's gas from the USA here in Ky. Refined in Ashland ky. I've had good luck with it & I'm sure it's always fresh. I try to just stay away from mom & pop places. I've actually had trouble with gas from Speedway quite a few times!! I can really tell in my Harley, it HATES bad gas!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:08 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

I was having a problem with the local Conoco / Phillips. I run a 93 octane tune and was using their 93 octane fuel. I was having a TERRIBLE problem of pinging on WOT. Another friend who has a Shelby GT was having the same problem. We started going to another "No Name" gas station. His problem was fixed. It solved some of my problem but not all. They opened up a new Chevron with a lot of traffic, so I started buying from them. Problem solved. My own personal oinion on the problem is that when the truck shows up to fill the tanks, sometimes I think they just put what ever where they want or do not pay attention to what they are putting where. I would like to buy from Pilot, because they run their own trucks, and so does Love's. But they are a little out of my way.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

One more time.. The sign on the station has exactly zero to do with which brand of gas you are buying, it's all the same. Water in the tank is just plain dumb, my buddy and his wife inspect tanks for the EPA. (gets offered bribes all the time)

And Jim 5.0, Walmart is the single largest purchaser of US manufactured goods on the planet.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:36 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
+1

And if I ever actually buy anything from Wally World, it will say "Made in the USA" on it. But since there is practically nothing that does, I don't shovel any money to Walmart, a company that only encourages American jobs to be sent overseas and further wage depression and loss of job benefits as a whole in the US.
Tell it like it REALLY is brother! If they are the largest purchaser of products made in the USA, I would really like to know what isle they keep that stuff on. If they actually do buy US made products, it is coming from a $9 / hour sweat shop. A little bit more of that my friends, and nobody will be shopping at Walmart. Holy smoke people...WAKE UP. Buy American made products. If you don't, we will ALL be making $9 / hour!!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Let me add one other thing about this Walmart discussion. They do buy American made products from companies that pay employees a decent wage. It is just few and far between. I live in Alabama and Walmart has destroyed the textile industry in this state.

Quick Reply: Gas from walmart?