Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine gurus i need help, again

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:25 AM
05sonic3valve

Default engine gurus i need help, again

Please bear with me this is a tricky issue so there's some explaining.

Back date to October, car throws a code for cyl8 coil pack intermittent. symptoms check out, replace packs with MSD packs, car runs fine. (I dont drive her too often so...) 2 weeks later i take her out and she starts acting up again as if the coil pack had gone, throws a code for cyl 5 coil pack, well theres less than 10 miles on these coils so, i swap cyl #2 coil w #5 coil to see if it follow the coil, no such luck, stays with cyl #5. clear the codes run it around the block, new code(s), both front 02 sensor heater circuits. replace the 02's (they needed to be anyway) same codes.

Now its mid November, and I already have a stock pile of parts for my winter build, so I figure Ill start my build and check over everything, see if anythings FUBAR-ed.

Heres a list of installed / replaced parts:
Comp cams bee hive valve springs
titanium valve retainers
FRPP hot rod cams
FRPP 24# injectors
BBk Fuel rails
FRPP intake manifold
FRPP twin 62mm TB
JLT air intake
02 sensors (front only, rears are delete)
MAF sensor
Fuel filter

Finished the build Mid january, starts up, wont idle, runs rough, throws a code for cam angle sensor bank 2. check the sensor, looks good, asked a tech who said with all my previous issues i might want to look at the alternator, which has been known to cause similar issues. so I ordered up a new alternator

Fast forward to yesterday, got around to putting the alternator in, go to start the car, turns over but its not catching, feels like timing is off. set spark timing to -2, fires up, throws the same code, bank 2 sensor, so ok maybe the sensor is shot, but bank 1 and 2 have the same sensor so lets swap and test, same output as bank 2, therefore its not the sensor. today i pulled the valve cover off bank 2 to check if there was blockage or anything not right, and everything appears to be spot on. I dont have a scope to test the ranges of the sensor but i was able to do a continuity test on the wiring, and there is continuity, so i doubt its my harness. I also checked the pins on the PCM to make sure they weren't loose or bent.

Im basically at a road block where, seeing that everything appears mechanically sound, the sensors appear to be functioning, and the harness appears to have no shorts, I'm nearly at a loss. Could my PCM be defective? Is there anything else I should look into?

any help is much appreciated.

Car:
05' GT 5spd M
Old 02-17-2011, 02:20 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

at this stage of the game, me personally, i might consider replacing the whole engine
harness. best of luck i hope you do get this fixed somehow.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:29 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

I'm a dummy here, but I'm gonna mention it anyways... Could water damage cause this kind of havoc on the engine running right?

Don
Old 02-17-2011, 04:35 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

If you are talking about TSB 08-26-07 then generally no. That puts the SJB in danger and normally only messes with the lights and electronics of the car, however 05sonic3valve have you had that taken care of? Also all these CELs that are popping up, do the symptoms of the suggested problem show up as well every time? sound random. who wrote your tune? good luck man sounds you know what you are doing and have exhausted every option.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

"FRPP hot rod cams" who did the install, are you sure they didn't perhaps screw it up.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:09 PM
05sonic3valve

I did the install, followed the book to a T, and yes im pretty sure i didnt screw it up.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:26 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Random problems with one or two common denominators suggests the pcm or harness is bunk. I'd lean towards the pcm.