Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Paint Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Default Need Some Paint Advice

I was waxing my car today, and like every daily driver it has some minor scratches. However, waxing my car made my back bumper stand out terrible. Its been hit multiple times. I got a quote and its was going to be $375 to fix it... I thought that was pretty ridiculous since I could get New Take Off GT bumper for less. I just want to make it less noticeable until I'm ready to go for duals and a CS rear. What can I do to make this look better?

The way I'm looking at it I can't possibly make it look any worse than it already is.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Get out of the fast lane, maybe they will hit you less
Old 03-16-2011, 11:05 PM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

One of my buddies did a reasonably good job with a bumper repair kit (duplicolor?) but that was on black...I imagine bright red is going to be hard to match. If it's just temporary, why not get a brush-on touch-up bottle from Ford or Duplicolor and just touch it up by hand?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Haha yeah its more like people need to stop backing into me.

I tried the touch up color and it just didn't look good at all. I was wondering if I could sand it and paint it? I was wanting to get the OEM paint from Autozone and some clear coat. If anyone has done anything like this could you post pics?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

I found a bumper cover that is an exact match on e-bay that's cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...2#ht_768wt_939

I seen Auto-Zone touch-up paint jobs.....it will look like an Auto Zone paint touch-up which is not nice.

Do you have access to a paint spray gun/air compressor? If so you could paint it your self for about $65.00 just don't forget the flex agent. The E-bay bumper seems like good fix.

Last edited by daredevil95; 03-16-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:17 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

That is a good price for the bumper. I'm just not wanting to spend even that amount of money for a bumper I'll just be getting rid of in about a year. Just seems like of pointless. I really need some instructions on how to repair it. I know it might be a bad idea, but I can't possibly see it looking any worse.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:12 AM
Kixsters
2nd Gear Member

I would either leave it like that or add some bandaids to it or save up faster for the cs bumper :-) ... I'm no pro in paint jobs so I would probably leave it worse :-( lol
Old 03-17-2011, 07:09 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Tanner, the local o'reillys sells exact color match spray paint.... Its like $6, I would just tape off the area and spray it, it will only be noticeable up close!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:46 AM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Tanner, the local o'reillys sells exact color match spray paint.... Its like $6, I would just tape off the area and spray it, it will only be noticeable up close!
+1

If you're getting rid of the bumper then think of the repair as practice, lol. Make sure the area is super clean and dry. Tape it off, scuff, clean, spray, let dry, wet sand, then buff. You may be able to blend it better than you think. Polish and wax it to make it shiny and see how it looks. As long as you get the correct color it should be decent. It won't look like a professional repair but it's good practice!
Old 03-17-2011, 08:00 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Pretty much what jrockgts said, but as that bumper is plastic, you might consider adding a plastic adherer into the mix. Basically, you spray that on before the primer to help the primer to stay on the bumper. Otherwise, it stands of good chance of coming off. What he's saying about the blend is that as you start going into the existing color, fade into it. Don't go too quick or you risk drips. Lastly, on the clear coat, a pro would remove all the dirt and wax with something like alcohol along the whole bumper. That way when it comes to the clear coat, you could respray the entire bumper with new clear. The rule of thumb is the cleaner you keep it while spraying it and in the wetsands, the much better the polish and wax will go and it can look good. The reason you pay a pro is they are patient...spraying doesnt take a ton of skill, it takes patience and cleanliness.

Otherwise, just spray the color and be done with it. It will look like crap, but heck, it's done.

Quick Reply: Need Some Paint Advice