Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Command (OBDII application for Tracking gauges on iPad/iPhone)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Martynas
1st Gear Member

Default Dash Command (OBDII application for Tracking gauges on iPad/iPhone)

I was wondering if anybody had experience using OBD II applications on your Mustang. I have just bought Dash Command app for iPad to measure car performance. Ant experience related to Mustangs?

* (there is a hardware wifi slot which plugged to your car computer socket obdII sends about 400 different gauge details and parameters from your car to your iPhone ir iPad)
Old 03-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

I'm also interested. They have something similar for Androids.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:37 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

I'll have experience after a few days. I have a Magden M1.b Performance Computer to install. It uses the OBD-II port to display gauges on a double-DIN LCD screen. I'm doing the install tonight, but I left the power cord for the computer at school and I won't be going back until Sunday.

I'll be able to tell you how it works and all that, but I don't know much about the Android/Iphone apps for the same purpose.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HT
I'll have experience after a few days. I have a Magden M1.b Performance Computer to install. It uses the OBD-II port to display gauges on a double-DIN LCD screen. I'm doing the install tonight, but I left the power cord for the computer at school and I won't be going back until Sunday.

I'll be able to tell you how it works and all that, but I don't know much about the Android/Iphone apps for the same purpose.
They stopped making those last year, where did you get it?
Old 03-26-2011, 01:34 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

I've been using an OBDII interface to a old Palm hand-held for several years, with a modified application to show various PID values, including all temps, O2 sensors, fuel, and a lot of other stuff. Much simpler than installing discrete gauges, IMO, especially if you do it via a secure bluetooth interface between the OBDII interface and your display device.

So yeah, it's been done. A better way would be to use a iPhone app and do it as well.

As far as 'mounting' the display device though, that can be a challenge for older devices, like the Palm Tungsten I use. Turns out, a Garmin GPS windshield mount works perfectly, if you remove the stylus pen and use the slot for one side of the mount. (sorry, no pics). Using a iPhone holder or other appropriate holder for your device is crucial for safe usage and easy viewing of real-time data.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:52 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I have it but dont have to use my phone to monitor it.
The MSD DashHawk does it all...
I leave the phone for talking to other people and
not for doing anything else.
Could be like texting and driving.
"But I was just tracking my engine parameters officer... "
Attached Thumbnails Dash Command (OBDII application for Tracking gauges on iPad/iPhone)-img_3016.jpg  
Old 03-26-2011, 10:27 AM
HT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
They stopped making those last year, where did you get it?
Searched long and hard and found a used one. I figure that since they will continue servicing them for the life of the product, even if they are bought 3rd party, then this was my best option if I really wanted one.

It sucks that they stopped making them though...because they had a lot of potential that wasn't tapped into because they stopped working on and with them. It's still pretty freaking cool though.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:26 AM
Shahedur007

Default Orange County Production Company | Full Service | Audio | Video | Radio | Lyon Studio

Lyon Studios: Full service Orange County Production Company in California, offering film production, video production, audio, commercials, webmercials, infomercial production, radio spots, jingles, voice-over casting, copy writing, protools recording studio, high def edit bays & more based in Newport Beach. Visit us any time you are in the Orange County or Los Angeles area; This production company will wow you with our beautiful work. Our wide array of services will be ready and available to you! Take a vacation to Orange County in Southern California today.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:02 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Thanks advertisement troll.

Here's my finished install. The Magden provides a really polished, customizable gauge display and the ability to tie it into the head unit makes it look really professional.

That's one thing I would be worried about on this front is making it look professional if your using a phone, assuming you want the display up all the time. I would think that the Ipad install into the dash with a solid app would be really cool.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Nice, so they used Pioneer's for displays this is specific to the one you have?

Quick Reply: Dash Command (OBDII application for Tracking gauges on iPad/iPhone)