Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:18 PM
X07TorchStangX

Default Upgrading

Hey,everyone so lately I have been wondering what I can do next to improve my mustang. I'm trying not to spend too much money right now so I'm looking to upgrade something that might not be expensive. I know some of the biggest performance gains can be gears,cams and turbo/super charger, but there expensive. Anyways I wanted to hear what you guys have in mind for doing some upgrades on my mustang. Thanks everyone

(only other non expensive item I can think of is livewires and a coilpack with new spark plugs. Or maybe shorty headers on a v6 but they aren't that much of a power gain)

What I have done so far:
Flowmaster Exhaust
BBK Cold Air intake
Steeda Throttle body spacer
Steeda Strut tower brace
Blackout panel
Billet Grill
Sequential taillights
93 Race tune
Various Billet accessories

Old 03-26-2011, 05:54 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Steeda under drive pulleys, get a few horses and no tune required.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:34 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Actually, rear gears are not as expensive to get, unless you are paying someone to install them for you. Of course, they can be tricky, shimming them and getting the back lash correct
Old 03-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Adding a rear sway bar can really tighten up handling (Unless you have the Pony Package, which comes with a rear sway). It's a fairly cheap mod, I got my front a rear sways for $45 online and you can pick up a GT takeoff from newtakeoff for $100 I think. Install is a breeze too
Old 03-26-2011, 08:01 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Go for the gears
Old 03-28-2011, 04:40 PM
X07TorchStangX

Originally Posted by Alec
Adding a rear sway bar can really tighten up handling (Unless you have the Pony Package, which comes with a rear sway). It's a fairly cheap mod, I got my front a rear sways for $45 online and you can pick up a GT takeoff from newtakeoff for $100 I think. Install is a breeze too
Actually when I got the car (its used) I was lucky enough the last owner opted to get the pony package so I'm good there. I was thinking about the gears expect when installation process can be expensive. I'm thinking about getting the dual exhaust conversion kit for the car. I don't mind adding that on because it improves power and exhaust flow not to mention the sound and look of the car.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Exhaust will get you zippo so I would save for the gears and then at least you will feel like you have extra hp.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:15 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I'd also suggest saving for the gears. Also, don't try to cheap out and do them yourself, because even professional auto workers mess gears up if they don't frequently replace gears for their job. It's one thing that should definitely be left to a pro on the car IMO.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:09 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

You want bang for your buck? Go for the steeper gears. As soon as I get some extra cash next semester, that'll be my first mod of the year. What is your definition of "not expensive"? You won't get a noticeable gain without throwing down some coin. Maybe you haven't looked into new gears, but they're definitely cheaper than cam work.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:33 PM
X07TorchStangX

Well it sounds like the gears are the way to go. So I will start saving up for them. I already have a few dollars aside but I rather get a little more money in my pocket before buying them. But what I was saying about the cams is that just for that reason of being too expensive I rather get something a little cheaper and improves performance,which sounds like it would be gears.

Quick Reply: Upgrading