Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Fill Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:33 AM
THerrick

Default Fuel Fill Issue

I bought my first Mustang, a 2007 convertible pony back in September 2010 and I love her. She is a real kick to drive! However, she is NOT fun at the fuel pump as the gas fuel fill nozzles tend to click off constantly, particularily when the tank gets more than 1/2 full. I have to turn and twist the nozzle all kinds of ways to coax the fuel into the car. This occurs at low speed, high speed fills, and at various (but not all) gas stations. Anybody have a work around with this issue? Anything that helps?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There's a TSB on that but even the "fix" doesn't always fix it. The issue is the saddle design of the tanks and the work-arounds are basically combinations of:
  1. Slow the fuel delivery rate
  2. Remove the pump nozzle from the fill line about 1/2 way
  3. Turn the pump handle anywhere from 45 degrees to 180 degrees
  4. Change pumps or even gas stations (some pumps are more sensitive than others)
Take solice in the fact that about 1/2 the forum suffers the same problem.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:42 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

It's a minor annoyance, but what Nuke said.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:52 PM
92whitelightning
1st Gear Member

I just recently purchased my 07 gt last November from a Ford Dealer as a certified preowned. They originally filled the gas tank up for me when I bought it so about one week later when I was running late to work I stopped for gas, stuck the gas nozzle in the tank and squeezed. gas came shooting back at me all over my uniform making me late to work because I had to go home and change....didn't matter how hard or soft I squeezed the trigger it would go about 10 cents at a time and click like it was full.....after doing some research I came across some tricks to get you by such as turning the gas nozzle upside down and slowly squeeze the trigger until you are about half way to full speed then you can squeeze it full speed....I ended up taking it back to the dealer and they said that it was a common thing for this pressure line in the tank to get clogged with debris and dirt....they said that they cleared the line when I took it back to them and it has never happened since
Old 04-01-2011, 12:56 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Yup, had that happen too, wasn't very fun. Didn't get near as bad splash as you but it did splash back out. Went to another gas station after that and it still had issues fueling. Then it cleared up and has been fine since (knock on wood) but I usually still have the nozzle at an angle.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

92whitelightening's post above has reminded me that there HAS been an instance or 2 where others have had a line associated with the fuel system clog which will nearly stop you from filling altogether.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:25 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Since I have been turning the nozzle 45° to the left, I haven't had any more issues with filling up.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:25 PM
92whitelightning
1st Gear Member

its such a stupid pain in the butt, not being able to put gas in your car....haha but with this vent line clogged there isn't any place for pressure to escape when filling up, causing the fuel pump to trip thinking that your tank is full...just wish i knew exactly where this line is so you guys can check it out...but the dealer told me that they had to drop the tank so only assuming that its located on the top of the tank...they also said my vent line was clogged with spider webs and ****.....but like i said ever since i got it back from them i have never had a problem at the pump....besides with these ridiculous gas prices
Old 04-01-2011, 02:34 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Unfortunately most of us are out of warranty so we learn to deal with it rather than pay the dealer.
I noticed mine had the issue from day one, brand new right off the car carrier.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:20 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the board!

Well, to be honest, my only fuel fill up problem is that 10 gal costs pushing $40 now!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Fuel Fill Issue