Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible pinging when changing tunes

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Default Horrible pinging when changing tunes

Does anybody else get that? It happens right after I fill up and change tunes like from 91 octane tune to 87 octane tune. It only pings for the first couple of times from accelerating from a dead stop or low rpms. Then it smooths out and doesn't do it any more. Is there a fix other than never changing tunes?
Old 04-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I've swapped between my 93, 89 and 87 Brenspeed tunes and never noticed any pinging. Have you contacted them?

Since it subsides, it shouldn't be an issue but the fact that it occurs (and that I've never heard of anyone else mentioning that problem) I'd still pose the question to the folks at Brenspeed.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

No, I haven't contacted them. I wanted to see what everybody else has to say.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:58 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

i had pinging so bad on their 93 tune with my 05 that i coudl never use it. the pinging never went away. after you flash a new tune the ECM has to relearn the trims though, perhaps that has something to do with it. also if you are moving form an 87 to a 93 tune you may be running into issues with diluting the octane by mixing 93 with leftover 87. and pinging is detonation, that can be bad for your motor
Old 04-08-2011, 09:13 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I would guess that that is you burning the last bit of the previous fuel up. Try to take it easy for the first few miles and you should be fine. Do be careful because it really can hurt your engine.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:25 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

I agree with the last comment
Old 04-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangmaster
Does anybody else get that? It happens right after I fill up and change tunes like from 91 octane tune to 87 octane tune. It only pings for the first couple of times from accelerating from a dead stop or low rpms. Then it smooths out and doesn't do it any more. Is there a fix other than never changing tunes?
Just don't do that. You shouldn't be mixing fuel and expect it to run correctly. Leave the one grade of fuel in there and don't screw with it. "Pinging" is detonation which will hurt your motor. Choose a tune and run it.

If I want to run different tunes, like switching from 100 oct tune to 91 (yes it's more drastic than what your doing) I actually hook a piece into my fuel rail, start the car, open the valve and let the fuel pumps pump all the fuel out until the car starts to stumble. This way I make sure it's all 100 oct in the car.

Be careful. There's reason the tuning companies tell you to run a few tanks of higher octane fuel in the tank before switching tunes.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

I would think there should not be any problem going from a 91 tune down to 87 tune when there was 1/4 of a tank of 93 octane in the tank and I fill up with 87 octane. I can see a potential problem going the other way though.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:22 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Well that is the other way too. You can fill up with the higher octane and wait a few days before loading the new tune.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:29 AM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
Well that is the other way too. You can fill up with the higher octane and wait a few days before loading the new tune.
My vote

Quick Reply: Horrible pinging when changing tunes