Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replaced rear pads today and parking brake wont set

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 05:34 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Default replaced rear pads today and parking brake wont set

hey guys i just replaced my rear brakes today in my 08(80k miles). i figured the fronts would go first bc of all the weight in the front end but it was the rears. and the outside pad on the drivers side was worn so bad there was no more pad left which cut a groove into my left rear rotor. i think the parking brake cables seized here recently. bc for the last few days while driving it felt like the car was slowing itself down a lot faster when i was coasting than it has. so now that the brakes are replaced the parking brake does not engage where it always has. i now have to pull the handle just about as high as it will go to get it to engage. ive never had to pull even half way before. any suggestions you guys can give me to ease my mind and fix this little problem will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:50 PM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

When you say engage do you mean actually lock the back wheels, because it sounds like your saying that the E-brake is already engaged without any input from the lever. Also it is possible that the pads are rubbing and slowing you down? You probably ought to have the rotors turned if you got grooves in them. If you having to lift the lever up almost all the way the you might have too much slack in the lever cable. Did you adjust the slack in the cable when you changed the breaks.

Last edited by adj86; 04-27-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:13 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

sorry. the handle has to be pulled all the way up to lock the rear wheels. and no we didnt adjust any cable after putting on the brakes. dont remember even seeing a cable. and i did have the rotors turned while i was waiting on the pads to show up. i work for a land rover dealer and had one of the techs change them while i was at work today. $70 for parts and labor..
Old 04-27-2011, 06:28 PM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

Slickness on the $70. I tried installing new e-brake cables and couldn't get them to align equally due to not gettin enough slack in the front brake cable, so one of them was always engaged, it kind of sounds like that could be the problem, that the ebrake cables in the rear may be locked in the engaged position. Have the rear cables ever been changed?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:00 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

no the rear cables in this stang havent been changed. my last 2 stangs had them changed under the tsb. i didnt think the 08's were still having the e-brake cable problem. guess i got to actually take it the dealer to get them to replace the cables. to bad it wont be free bc im out of warranty now. thanks for the help. ill see if i cant get the tech to look at the cables.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:18 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Did you line up the notches in the piston with the pin on the back of the in board brake pad? Refer to the pictures in this thread:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...rake-pads.html
Old 04-27-2011, 07:34 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

thanks 6-speed. i will check it out.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:27 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

thanks for all the advise guys. but my baby is going into the shop tomorrow to have ford find out whats going on with my e-brake. today while driving the parking break didnt release and locked up on the r/r. i smelled that nice burning smell u get when you drive with the parking brake on for a few miles. got it back to the shop and thought is was coming from the left side, the pad that was all gone the day before, and to my surprise it was fine then went around to the right side and low and behold the rotor was starting to turn blue and the pad was still grabbing the rotor. not sure what made it switch sides but thats something ford going to have to figure out. wish me luck...
Old 04-29-2011, 06:38 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Those ebrake cables really arent too bad to replace. I did mine in about 45 mins. I had to finally employ some vice grips to create enough slack to get the second one on, but it was fine. Then adjusting the ebrake handle is an easy proposition. Chances are you somehow damaged the passenger side cable during the pad replacement and it will need swapped out.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:28 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

OP ... any updates on the repair work?

Quick Reply: replaced rear pads today and parking brake wont set