Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:48 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Default Supercharger Help

Ok so theres a "chance" I may be getting a s/c as a graduation gift, but nothing is set in stone. One option would be either a vortech or paxton non-intercooled (would be adding the intercooler kit later on on my own), and I am not sure if the m90 is in the question. My question is, is it true that the cenrti blowers need to either be taken off in the winter or an oil line has to be drilled? This car is my DD so its driven all year round and this is a big concern. I know I can get the vmp500 kit for the m90 but isnt there more power to be had out of a intercooled centri? I dont want crazy numbers, just somewhere around 450rwhp +/- as I dont want anything to blow. Also keep in mind I have a full exhaust setup so I would have to get it custom tuned so basically if I get the m90 I would HAVE to get the vmp500 kit. What would be the best option for me?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:12 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Well, first of all where do you live? Paxton says the rule of thumb for the centris is below 20 degrees F may cause damage to the blower so if it regularly gets below that, then yeah you'll probably have to yank it off (or get a warming blanket or something similar). Between the M90 and the Pax/Vortech the latter definitely has more power making potential, but it isn't all there when you first tromp on the gas. The M90 has it's torque virtually right out of the gate.

I don't know if you have any cash to contribute if that is indeed what your graduation gift will be, but you may also want to think about just taking the plunge and getting the full kit if it's in your budget. If you could swing it, you could possibly consider a twin screw kit as well.

Edit: I just noticed you have 4.10 gears. I believe that may make launching with a roots or TS a bit trickier based on what I've read in the past.

Last edited by PSUSkier; 04-28-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:50 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I got an m90 with 4.10 gears..................dont be scared! Its awesome.
Nice thing about the m90 for the 2010 stang, its plug and play baby. You dont have to hack into the wireharness to install. You just plug it in. Not too shabby IMO. That saves you time for sure during the install. Overall the install is very straightforward. Longtube header install was more difficult IMO. As far as custom tune, you have JDM, BBR and VMP to name three that know this system. With cams, LTs, CAI and pulley you can have 450 to the rear wheels. Without the pulley and a conservative tune I am running 12.4s in bad air.
Its the only system I can comment about and I am fully stoked I went this route. Keep doing your research and make an informed decision before you purchase.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:19 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

It's true about the 25 degrees and winter being a big no-no for the Vortech/Paxton kits... I have taken mine off for last winter, and then this coming winter.. I just put it back on!

Doh! lulz

East coast gets some pretty bad winters.. worse than Alaskas, so I would stay clear of the Centri. I have chatted with people on other forums and one had blown an internal seal having driven it through two winters. Other than that, it totally kicks *** in the mid-top end department. It LOVES to winde up be taken up through the RPMs...

but if I had to do it over again, it would be something different that I did not have to mess with. Something to set it up and forget about

The M90 is a great value, that can be upgraded very easily. Only complaint is that it "maxes out at 450WHP".. which is a pretty high status problem if you ask me lulz
Old 04-29-2011, 03:21 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

The other option for the paxton/vortech is a warming blanket. You park your car, wrap a warming blanket around it and plug it in. It sucks, but it will keep it warm.

Does anyone know if the prochargers have this problem too?
Old 04-29-2011, 04:53 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

what happens when you're at work and no access to a plug or at the movies for a few hours?

It'll freeze.

Procharger claims to not have this issue, but their design is nearly identical to Vortech/Paxton (minus their dedicated belt tensioner arm)
Old 04-29-2011, 05:25 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

I'd look at the Roush TVS phase 1 can be had with a custom tune for around 5700 probably less. Low boost, good power and LOTS of room to upgrade
Old 04-29-2011, 06:20 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I have the saleen and 410's and its just like what 808 said AWESOME!! IF I were you I would take the money that they were gonna spend on a vortech and get a M90 or save your money and get KB, Whipple, or Saleen. The 500 VMP kit would be good too. Really you cant go wrong with any of it. Keep in mind if u want to grow in the future that u may want something a bit more upgradeable. IF you dont have an oil seperator you should get one or maybe two one for the both sides
Old 04-29-2011, 06:51 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
what happens when you're at work and no access to a plug or at the movies for a few hours?

It'll freeze.

Procharger claims to not have this issue, but their design is nearly identical to Vortech/Paxton (minus their dedicated belt tensioner arm)
True. I can't believe they engineer them like that. I would love to get one, but I won't specifically because of that. I'll look into the procharger and see if it does. I'm kind of interested to know now.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:52 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Do all SC's need to be dealt with when it gets cold? I had never heard of this and am thinking in the next year or 2 myself...

Quick Reply: Supercharger Help