Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you remove bugs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 05:41 AM
Bigorangek9
1st Gear Member

Default How do you remove bugs?

Might be silly, but I still have trouble removing bugs & guts from my painted bumpers without it etching the clearcoat. I wash car after every couple drives, (it's not a daily driver) and still have trouble completely getting bugs & guts off the car. Even if I get them off, you can still see where they were. I keep car waxed & don't want anything harsh on paint or wax. Any tried & true methods out there??
Old 05-22-2011, 06:29 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

There is actually a product you can buy to do this.
Unfortunately I am unaware of it's name.

Do a google search for car bug remover or something.

Also... You could use the handheld car wash power hose.
Get it directly on the marks but dont point the hose too close to it.
After that put some of the Mequires instant detailer on her to finish up
any leftover residue.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:38 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

My car is the same way. The best thing I have found is a sponge that they sell at just about everywhere. It is covered in a weave of something. IT WILL NOT SCRATCH YOUR FINISH. I just wet the car down and do my little wash routine. When I get the the front,I just put a little elbow grease to it. Sometimes when I rinse it I will need to go over it again. Washed it yesterday. Great looking GT/CS. I have always liked the orange w/ black stripes.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:28 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bigorangek9
Might be silly, but I still have trouble removing bugs & guts from my painted bumpers without it etching the clearcoat. I wash car after every couple drives, (it's not a daily driver) and still have trouble completely getting bugs & guts off the car. Even if I get them off, you can still see where they were. I keep car waxed & don't want anything harsh on paint or wax. Any tried & true methods out there??
You may want to consider washing the car more if you are having issues with bugs etching in your paint. Just cause its not a daily driver and you wash it every few drives, that could be what? A wash every 5 days to 2-3 weeks or so? The longer they are on there the more time they have to marinate on there lol. I wash my car roughly once a week and never had problems with bugs etching like you are describing.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:37 AM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

I use the common sponge with nylon weave and wash my car once a week. Never had any bug problems like you describe. Maybe try and keep the front bumper waxed more?
Old 05-22-2011, 08:38 AM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

Yes the more often you wash the car the better, but I also get the bugs off soon after a drive as the longer you wait the harder to remove. I swear by Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover. I've used it for years for that as well as removing tar and other streaks in the paint with no ill effects to the clearcoat.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Bigorangek9
1st Gear Member

Ok, I'll give it a try, actually my mustangs have no etching from bugs, but my wife has a dodge Ram in dk. Red, it does it bad. Of course I live out in the country too, that doesn't help either. I can drive 5 miles & the front end will be plastered. Guess I need to wash it every day! Bugs are better than snow!! That's for sure, can't gripe too much I guess.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:16 AM
effin' speedracer
2nd Gear Member

I haven't washed my car in over 3 years, I drive once or twice a week and when I get home I'll take a California duster and lightly brush off the larger hunks of bug guts then spray the front bumper with Meguires detailer and alow it to soak for a few minutes. Then I'll take a micro fiber cloth and soak it with detailer and begin to lightly wipe them off... takes about 20 minutes to do the front bumper cover.

Last edited by effin' speedracer; 05-22-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:30 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I use meguiars bug and tar remover. It isn't a miracle but it makes it easier than scrubbing at your bumper and potentially leaving bad marks on your clear coat. Also, I find it easy to just take literally 2-5 minutes after each drive to just quick detail the front bumper where bugs have hit, when they literally just hit the car, they wipe off pretty easily.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:42 AM
96dkgreengt
2nd Gear Member

i used baking soda and water to remove bugs from all my vehicles.. doesnt hurt the paint either and works great

Quick Reply: How do you remove bugs?