Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 05:57 PM
viperrmk
3rd Gear Member

Default A little help?

Alright guys I need some advice or input. I'm running a O/R H pipe that was welded in the middle along with some Magnaflow packs mid mounted and pype bomb's as tips. Now i don't know if its an exhaust leak or what but its driving me crazy. I'm getting a kinda "puffing" noise when I accelerate. I can hear it if I'm driving next to a wall or another car, and so forth.

I remember reading somewhere that straight thru mufflers will always give you that kinda "puffing" sound. Is this true? Anyone else set up have this kind of sound?
Old 05-24-2011, 02:11 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

I can't help as I only have bolt ons, but have you looked under the car to see evidence of an exhaust leak? Is there any dark sooty areas around any welds?

Good luck. Hopefully you'll figure it out or someone else will chime in.

Don
Old 05-24-2011, 02:15 PM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

How long have you had the O/R H? When I first got one, I actually had an exhaust leak at the header midpipe connection, probably user error since I put it in myself. After I got that fixed I sometimes thought I had an exhaust leak but it was just the sound the O/R made. I would check for sooty areas or use some dawn soap and water, put it on the connections and see how that goes.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:25 PM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

I have an o/r x and I had a bad exhaust leak (Pypes MM disaster) that would occur in different spots about every week or so and it would make the puffing sound you are describing (along with banging and rattling lol). I could hear it all the time, not just when I was driving next to something though. I have since went to the Borla Stinger cat-back and everything has been fine. My o/r x tends to make a little bit of a "swishing" sound when I'm on the throttle lightly, but nothing that could be mistaken for an exhaust leak.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:32 PM
07 Cervini
2nd Gear Member

I had a mid mounted system that made an airy sound you are describing. I put on mac axle backs and found the deep punch sound I was looking for