Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Catch can?

Old 06-16-2011, 08:10 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

I see most of you are not running ss line like in the link...are they neccessary or will the brenspeed jlt work fine?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:36 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

Originally Posted by highline
I see most of you are not running ss line like in the link...are they neccessary or will the brenspeed jlt work fine?
the stock OEM one isn't SS braided...
Old 06-16-2011, 08:51 AM
BlackBeauty4.6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
i have breathers instead.

ive heard about catch cans and breathers before but never paid much attention to them.. exactly what do they do? and what makes them a great mod to do? or which is better to do breathers or the can?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:12 AM
BIGPHIL
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty4.6
ive heard about catch cans and breathers before but never paid much attention to them.. exactly what do they do? and what makes them a great mod to do? or which is better to do breathers or the can?
Basically what they do is filter out contaminated oil from blow by in the PCV system. I prefer to use a catch can vs breathers because they actually remove the contaminated oil. Breathers just allow the PCV system to vent but dont really remove the crummy blow by oil. They are good for NA or FI motors because they will keep the throttle body much cleaner as well as the intake valves. For an FI motor that has a positive displacement blower with/without an aftercooler, they help keep the rotors clean from any oil as well as prevent the aftercooler from getting clogged up with oil. Cars from the factory should have a catch can installed IMO!
Old 06-16-2011, 11:13 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty4.6
--stolen from somewhere on the interwebs--

the difference is, one is environmentally friendly, one isnt and one will hurt your performance, one won't.

the breather releases hydrocarbons into the atmosphere, one of the reason why cars run a closed PCV system nowadays....they decide to kill the quality of your intake charge by letting the oily fumes go into your intake, so your cat can sort out the mess.

the problem is, if you dont have a breather atop, and you route it back into the manifold (like stock), while you are seperating the oil from the vapors (like a seperator/catch can), you are STILL allowing slightly oily vapors into your intake, which is crap. This means if you are boosting, you are more prone to detonation, since your intake charge is now even hotter and has oil droplets in it, and...if you are high compression, you are losing horsepower since you could be running more timing, but since you are having to deal with the the hotter intake charge and oil vapor, you have to kill some timing.

the sole purpose of either is to seperate the oil from the crankcase vapors, and still allow the crankcase to breath properly without the oil vapors going into the intake manifold...
Old 06-16-2011, 12:10 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I am running the jlt oil separator. Install took about 30 seconds, it looks stock and offers some great insurance for your motor. Well worth the price IMO.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:31 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MeanStang08
JLT works for me..

just sits there, eh? No banging/moving, ect? Supported by the hoses? I'm also looking at the jlt
Old 06-16-2011, 01:33 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

No banging, no noises here. Buy it and don't look back.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:16 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I'm running a JLT with my Saleen setup ... If I empty it out after every gas fillup I get about a teaspoon of oil out of it each time. That would be quite a bit of oil over time coating my rotors and clogging up my intercooler ...
Old 06-16-2011, 03:17 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

wow, that is quite a bit...buying today, thanks for the help, pics, ect all

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Catch can?