Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Push button start

Old 07-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Bensfoxbody

Haha that would suck!
Old 07-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Mighty
1st Gear Member

So you have to have the key in the ignition. Do you have to turn it to run?

Um, what's the point?
Old 07-13-2011, 11:44 PM
TruMac
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford_Dude
ya from what I hear/recall it was a remote start

basicly the dealer guy pressed what he thought was the panic button to find the car but it started it and then it drove into a lake
I seriously doubt that it really happened that way, or at all. I sold remote start systems for years and assisted the installers here and there putting them in. I have had them on numerous manual cars as well. In order for them to work (this is assuming you are using a system made for a manual car) you need to set the system before you get out. In the case of the brand we sold you needed to tap the brake a few times, you would hear relays click and you knew it was armed. It would not arm if the clutch was pressed in, therefor the car MUST be in neutral. If you press the clutch after you arm the system, it would disarm. There was no conceivable way it could be armed AND left in gear at the same time. That being said...if someone installed a system without these safeguards in place (ie using a system meant for autos in a manual) then you better get your fishing pole pal. Hope you had all weather mats in your car!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:07 AM
kput
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mighty
So you have to have the key in the ignition. Do you have to turn it to run?

Um, what's the point?

What's the point to half the appearance mods there are?
Old 07-14-2011, 12:51 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ford_Dude
ya from what I hear/recall it was a remote start
I think black's thinkin' of the auto-only car alarm install that the dealer took for an automated remote swim. Not the push-button start. Needs to have the specific options for a manual install to be safe for any remote-start alarm system.

Not sure about the push-button start, just as when you would start with the key only I'd think you'd have to have the clutch in to activate it should you install it correctly. Never really researched as I'm in the "why bother" camp for this one. RFID based, completely key-less, like DiscoDave's, oh yeah, but this? Not so much.

Last edited by wayne613; 07-14-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:02 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TruMac
I seriously doubt that it really happened that way, or at all. I sold remote start systems for years and assisted the installers here and there putting them in. I have had them on numerous manual cars as well. In order for them to work (this is assuming you are using a system made for a manual car) you need to set the system before you get out. In the case of the brand we sold you needed to tap the brake a few times, you would hear relays click and you knew it was armed. It would not arm if the clutch was pressed in, therefor the car MUST be in neutral. If you press the clutch after you arm the system, it would disarm. There was no conceivable way it could be armed AND left in gear at the same time. That being said...if someone installed a system without these safeguards in place (ie using a system meant for autos in a manual) then you better get your fishing pole pal. Hope you had all weather mats in your car!
The dude bypassed all the safety mechanisms in his install, plus retasked the panic button for the remote start instead of buying a new remote.
Some corners should not be cut.

Back on topic, yeah, the pushbutton start is pretty much a gimmick in the form that the ford racing one does it since the key has to be in and turned to run for the button to work.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Mighty
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput
What's the point to half the appearance mods there are?
I guess I wasn't thinking of it as an appearance mod.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:36 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

I guess I wasn't thinking of it as an appearance mod.
But when you think about it that's really all it is, heck I could make a case for sequential tails being more useful.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Mighty
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AK_Kayaker
But when you think about it that's really all it is
That was my point. I was thinking it did away with the need for the key or something.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:56 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

That was my point. I was thinking it did away with the need for the key or something.
If you spend the money some do, look at discodave's set up.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...rt-button.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Push button start