Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Identify these side scoops

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Shax

Default Identify these side scoops

I saw these on a mustang the other and day and I want them for my car. Can anyone tell me if there are any like these available to buy and the site that has them? Is there any chance this was a special edition mustang that had the scoops factory installed. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

These are the California Special Side Scoops, and are an OEM part made by Ford for the California Special Edition mustangs.

I bought mine from bangastang.com. Great pricing, great customer service, excellent paint job.

http://www.bangastang.com/_e/Exterio...oops_05_09.htm

Installation was pretty easy too. What I really like about these is you can drill them into your side panel in addition to using the 3M tape. This provides additional insurance that 1) they're not going to fly off when driving down the highway, and 2) nobody is going to rip them off your car....I've heard stories...LOL!

Drilling isn't necessary though. You can stick them on with the 3M tape that comes pre-applied.

And they come with the Ford factory template for easy alignment prior to installing. I recommend you have a center punch to use to set the hole prior to drilling...if you plan to drill. Otherwise that drill bit will fly all over your side panel.

Hope that helps, and good choice on the side scoops!

Last edited by Biceps; 07-26-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Shax

Thanks Biceps this is exactly what I needed to know. Ugh thinking about drilling holes in my car is pretty scary. I don't even own a drill lol. I have a black out panel and louvers all applied with 3M tape, so far no one has tried to steal them.

Gonna have to think over this and decide what I want to do. thanks!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:01 AM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

You're welcome. Like I said, you don't have to drill them into your car. You do have the option of using the supplied 3M tape and sticking them on. Either way works

Post some pics when you get them on your ride. They really make a difference in the appearance and aggressiveness of your ride.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:51 AM
kgrun4
2nd Gear Member

Just a warning about these scoops. I have them on mine and the upper corners on the corner away from the door doesn't sit flush to the car leaving a gap. I looked this up and some others on this forum have had this problem. I'm probably going to take them off and sand the lower corners down and hope they sit flush. They look great otherwise. I can take pics of what I mean if you want.

You can also buy this style ones from American Muscle, they don't require drilling and are cheaper, i think 129 or so.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on solely 3M tape and no drilling, providing you properly prep with an appropriate solvent or >90% isopropyl alcohol and properly apply in the right temperature range (60-80 IIRC) allow the adhesive to cure for 24 hours without moving the vehicle and not allowing the tape to get wet/damp (including morning dew).
Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Nuke
+1 on solely 3M tape and no drilling, providing you properly prep with an appropriate solvent or >90% isopropyl alcohol and properly apply in the right temperature range (60-80 IIRC) allow the adhesive to cure for 24 hours without moving the vehicle and not allowing the tape to get wet/damp (including morning dew).
3M 4298 Adhesion Promoter FTW...
Old 07-27-2011, 12:37 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Tousley Ford has these for $165... Give Steve a call if these are what you want... Don't forget that you can get similar scoops from AM painted... Don't have pricing but their site should.

Don
Old 07-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kgrun4
Just a warning about these scoops. I have them on mine and the upper corners on the corner away from the door doesn't sit flush to the car leaving a gap. I looked this up and some others on this forum have had this problem. I'm probably going to take them off and sand the lower corners down and hope they sit flush. They look great otherwise. I can take pics of what I mean if you want.

You can also buy this style ones from American Muscle, they don't require drilling and are cheaper, i think 129 or so.

I have the same issue too with mine. The upper corners furthest away from the door lifts slightly off the car, leaving a small gap. I'm not sure if this is due to how I installed them, or a defect in design. It's something only I notice, but I do notice it.

Hey, nice find on AM. I didn't realize they added replica CS side scoops. Not sure what a paint shop would charge for proper painting though. And no drilling either, which is a nice bonus for those who don't want to drill. I personally wanted to drill. But I totally understand others not wanting too.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
3M 4298 Adhesion Promoter FTW...
I spoke to a guy over at CDC and he mentioned the Adhesion Promoter would damage the paint (we were discussing the installation of the CDC Deck lid panel). I had never heard of this before, and he said if I ever wanted to take the deck lid off, to not use the adhesion promoter.

Have you ever heard of this?

Quick Reply: Identify these side scoops