Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Bay Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:15 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Default Engine Bay Cleaning

Hey guys-

So I need to give my engine some TLC and clean the engine bay... Ive read what the manual says, but I want y'alls tips!
Old 07-29-2011, 04:24 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Cover the fuse box with a plastic bag and remove the CAI filter before hand, degrease with simple green, get into every corner you can by hand and go to town with a hose (low pressure)...pretty simple stuff. Make sure your engine is cool as well, no sense in cracking your block.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:37 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

You can go to any motorcycle shop and get a product called "Bike Brite". It cleans, degreases, and even turns your black plastic pieces nice and black. I use it. Just be careful like bakerjd said. It really does work very well. Also make sure you do not get it on your exterior paint. It will not hurt it, but it will strip your wax.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:49 AM
astentine
2nd Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/deta...look-here.html
Old 07-29-2011, 07:40 AM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

I prescribe to the theory of "clean it often - don't let it get really dirty". It is much easier that way. I use Greased Lightning when I see it getting a little dusty.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Blue_steel
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
Cover the fuse box with a plastic bag and remove the CAI filter before hand, degrease with simple green, get into every corner you can by hand and go to town with a hose (low pressure)...pretty simple stuff. Make sure your engine is cool as well, no sense in cracking your block.
this.I live in an apartment with no hose so I go to a car wash and use the low pressure rinse.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:42 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Let your car sit for atleast a half an hour before attempting to wash it. Make sure to cover up the fuse box, alternator, and (if you have one) your aftermarket filter (CAI?). I like to use Adam's APC on my engine bay, and then follow up with SVRT to dress it. Comes out pretty well. Most any degreaser will work. Make sure to use low pressure so you don't force water into places it shouldn't be. And perhaps most importantly, make sure to post some pics for our enjoyment!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:35 AM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

I don't know if they reformulated it or not, but Simple Green used to do horrible things to Aluminum. I would check the bottle carefully and read into this before ever getting it near the engine bay!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:44 AM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

make sure engine is cool

cover fuse box and cai (if you have one)

rinse car from underside of the hood then down to the engine bay itself (low pressure)

spray your choice of cleaner on the underside of the hood and then blast away at the engine bay

scrub, using a boars hair brush, the underside of hood and then the engine bay

rinse from top to bottom

enjoy the new look

if you use adams products, use waterless wash to spray down the engine bay after it semi-dries, then wipe with waterless wash towel, then use SVRT to dress all plastics and in & out spray to get areas you couldn't with the SVRT
Old 07-29-2011, 03:27 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I used Simple Green before I painted my valve covers. Now I clean weekly to not let it get out of control. Windex does wonders

Quick Reply: Engine Bay Cleaning