Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underdrive Pulleys, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

The difference in gas mileage you will get from 3.73's and 4.10's is pretty much non existent.

The tune and CAI can actually help you with gas mileage in everyday driving.
The gears wont really affect you given the tune and CAI will probably give you a small increase in MPG. Even if they did not... the gears wont affect you really
unless you have a lead foot lol. The loss in MPG is MINIMAL
Old 08-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

There are lots of people on this forum with knowledge on these cars.
It's a great forum to seek info.

And if you EVER have any questions you can Private Message me and I will be glad to help.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:32 PM
mystangisblack
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
OH when the time comes that you get the 4.10s... there are some important things to remember.

First off... Make SURE you buy the Ford Racing gears brand.
Now this is tricky because Ford and Ford racing also sells a brand called Motive.
However... the ONLY way you can tell they are Motive gears and NOT Ford Racing gears is they have an M at the end of the part number.

DO NOT get the motive gears. They are weaker gears in the strength AND they also are pretty notorious for causing what's known as "gear whine". You don't want gear whine. It is an ANNOYING sound you don't want to have to put up with.

Also.. make SURE you take the car to a shop that has A LOT of experience with putting gears in these model Mustangs. If you have a friend or a shop that does gears in other cars, but does not have experience putting them in these cars... DO NOT take it to them.

These cars are finicky when it comes to how they are installed and if they are'nt done the way they like.. can cause gear whine as well as premature wear.
So take it to a shop that does gear changes in these model Mustangs often.

One last thing...when you first have them installed.
Do NOT go and hot rod the car right off the bat. I don't care what anyone says.
These gears must be broken in and you need to drive in stop and go traffic for about 500 miles before you start hot rodding the car. Otherwise you could damage the gears. Those that say they hot rodded them right after install with no problems are lucky they did not mess up the gears. Simple as that.

Just some things to know before you do the gears.
It also gives me a chance to mention this. ALWAYS do research on the parts you plan to put in your car. That way you know how to properly drive the car if the part requires a break in period, AND you know what signs or clues the car would give you if you ran to any trouble.

I think the best steps to modding these cars is this:

1.Handheld tuner with tunes

2.CAI if you did not buy it with the tuner

3. Gears

4. Maybe pulley or delete plates if you want a bit more power.
Or skip those and go to number 5.

5. This is where you go into what long term goals you want such as if you want to go with some cams, long tube headers, or maybe even a supercharger or turbo if you are really power hungry.
Sorry to keep adding questions. But i have 54k on the car, is supercharging the car with that many miles a good idea?
Old 08-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you want performance without sacrificing fuel mileage (unless you insist on romping on it), the CAI & tune is about it unless you go FI. LT headers and cams gain about as much as the CAI & tune but the CAI & tune is the first mod you SHOULD do. It'll gain you about 5-8 times the RWHP gain of UDP's.

If the engine is sound and you haven't beaten/weakened it over those 54K miles, then SC'ing is not a problem.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

BTW GOOD looking car.

That is exactly the one we bought when we had our 06GT.
Black with red interior.

Here's a couple of pics of what it looked like after adding mods including a custom stripe job and some others:

Old 08-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by mystangisblack
Sorry to keep adding questions. But i have 54k on the car, is supercharging the car with that many miles a good idea?
Would not matter at all. As long is the engine is running clean and good that would not be an issue.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:41 PM
mystangisblack
2nd Gear Member

That car is beautiful. I LOVE THE MATTE BLACK STRIPES. Was actually thinking about doing that with mine. It's kinda weird how much we have similar taste. And i'm not just saying that, I want my car to look almost identical to your old 06.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Here's what we had on the 06GT for performance mods.

Cold Air intake and tune
Ford Racing 4.10 gears
EXEDY racing clutch (this was not for performance as much as it was adding a clutch that would hold big power if we decided to supercharge it along with the other mods we had)
BBK Long Tube Headers (the ceramic ones that do not heat up as much btw. ceramic ones are a good investment)
BBK High Flow Catted X Pipe
Bassani Race exhaust
Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams

Edit: forgot to list the MGW short throw shifter lol

We also went in and put custom leather seats. Our red seats started bleeding so we replaced them with Katzkins custom seats. They were black with red inserts, custom red stitching, and custom embroidery done on them.
Then we added a really nice Pioneer touch screen deck with DVD player, Bluetooth, SD card slot, and a Nav system in it.

LOL sorry to get off target here.
Your car just reminded me SO MUCH of our 06GT we had and brought back memories haha.

Wow that makes me feel proud you said you loved the way mine looked and wanted yours to look almost identical!
THANK YOU for the compliments!

Go for it man! I loved the look of our car. Nothing like customizing a black mustang to make it look MEAN.
And matte black stripes are about the meanest look you can get on a black mustang in my opinion!

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 08-17-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

We got the stripes from www.baltimorestreetmods.com
We went with 10" stripes and then went with a quater inch gap on each outside edge followed by a 1/2 inch pinstripe
all the way down front and back.
The pinstripes in that location gave it a little bit of a different look that the usual racing stripe. PLUS the pinstripe was not
so wide it looked funny with them on. Go too wide on the pins and they will look like TOO much.

They sell good quality stripe kits that ANY installer can put on easily.
They line up perfectly in all spots.
The stripes also go all the way down from the start of the front bumper to the end of the back. I really like the FULL stripe length. To me if they don't follow all the way down on both ends it looks like an incomplete job.

Oh we could not lower the car because of the driveway but we did buy a GT500 chin spoiler and cut it to fit our car.
There is actually a tutorial on how to do this out there. The GT500 splitter is A LOT cheaper as far as cost goes compared to other chin spoilers and it looks great.
Plus you don't have to paint it or worry about the paint chipping.

Again feel free to ask me questions anytime. We love to help our members on this forum.
I hope you enjoy it!

OH yeah one more mod I forgot to mention we had. A MGW short throw shifter. LOOOOOOVED that thing.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 08-17-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:36 AM
mystangisblack
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, I was at work! Is the GT500 splitter cheaper than that chin spoiler on AM that they'll paint for you?

Quick Reply: Underdrive Pulleys, worth it?