Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Autocross?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:18 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Default Thoughts on Autocross?

Hey Gents-

Im seriously debating getting into AutoX with my 2009 V6 Pony Package...

Any thoughts, advice, or experience is welcomed
Old 08-25-2011, 01:23 AM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Do it if you get the chance, its a lot of fun. If its your first time, see if you can get a ride along first before you go out there, and be sure to walk the course a few times before the event starts. Its really not hyper compeitive unless you really want it to be, its more about competing against yourself run after run.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:38 AM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Did it twice this year. Total rush / hoot! Your V6 would work fine as the GT really had too much power for the tires I had (dirt tracked way too much)...

At least in this area the local SCCA folks were awesome to newbs... They walked the track with you, gave you tons of pointers... no issues with experienced folks, I rode with them and they rode with me giving me pointers...

It's real tough on tires... (again, I had a bit of an issue with throttle control.. meaning way too much)...
Old 08-25-2011, 06:35 AM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Wow robs those are rough. I autocrossed for years on the stock Pirellis and never had any chunking like that.

stags, about the worst thing that will happen to your car autocrossing is getting some cone scuffs, which will buff right off. Autocross is a great first step into racing and I see no reason why someone shouldn't do it! You'll learn a ton about driving and make some great friends in the process.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:01 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stags
Hey Gents-

Im seriously debating getting into AutoX with my 2009 V6 Pony Package...

Any thoughts, advice, or experience is welcomed
Go to have fun.

Bring a few things, like food, water, sunscreen, a hat, etc. Rain gear if showers are predicted - autocrossing generally does not get postponed or rain-delayed. Running in the wet is actually a lot of fun, and you might even learn more than you would running on a dry day. Bring a towel and a plastic bag.

Leave anything home that you won't be using - anything loose needs to be removed from the car anyway. That includes floor mats, BTW.

Plan on getting at the lot early. No sense putting yourself under time pressure when you don't know exactly what to expect. You will have to unload your car, register (which will probably involve waiting in line), get your car through tech inspection (another line), and attend the drivers' meeting. And a couple other things such as maybe airing your tires up a few psi, and you probably ought to wash your windshield. All these little things take time, and you'll still want to have time to chat with the other folks, too

You will want to walk the course several times, and if there is an instructed course walk for novices, take it. Walk the course with an experienced autocrosser, better still if he also drives a RWD car that has some power.

If the event provides instructed runs with the instructor sitting right seat, or ride-alongs where you're the passenger, go for that too.

You should be getting the idea from posts above that the throttle has a few more useful positions than just "all or nothing". Brute force can overpower the tires, but not the course.

It's worth repeating . . . Most of all, go to have fun.

Norm
Philly Region

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-25-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:11 AM
dennisafrompa
1st Gear Member

Default Just do it....

...listen to what every one says then walk the course, walk the course and walk the course. If possible ride with an instructer....RIDE with one, that way you'll see how he drives and you'll be able to feel the loads involved. This is better than having an instructer ride with you.

Have fun!!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Something I missed - since SCCA allows motorcycle rated helmets at autocross, if you have an 'M' helmet that's no older than M2000, bring it. If not, there should be loaner helmets available at the lot.

Other clubs that organize autocrosses may also allow 'M' helmets, though you should check to be sure.

Norm