Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing my spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 07:16 PM
زoe
1st Gear Member

Default Removing my spoiler

I looked at my spoiler and saw that it was kind of stuck on with a black foam pad or something. would it be easy to take off?
Old 09-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Removing my spoiler

It's got double sided tape and probably a screw in each foot of the spoiler. The tape will take some work to get off the paint. Heat Gun and a plastic razor blade will do the trick though.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:53 PM
brockbr

I removed mine...

1) Undo the four nuts on the bottom
2) Pry forward and back with some force - Work on one side at a time. It'll come off
3) Use a dry *thumb* and apply pressure - Roll up the sticky stuff by pushing hard with your thumb and moving in one direction. I removed almost 100% of the gunk by doing this.
4) Use some light duty sticky remover (aka Goop, "WipeAway", etc) to clean any left-over residue
5) Go to Lowe's or Home Depot. Go to the hardware aisle where they have the drawers with special fastners. In the drawers, locate a 1/4" plastic plug/cap and a 3/8" (or 5/16"). Get a few of each - they have a bunch of different kinds - I used a super low-profile set. Since my car is black, I used black ones. A TINY bit of RTV around the plastic and put into open holes.

Viola! No more wing

Old 09-06-2005, 09:20 PM
brockbr

Here's a close-up (well, not that close I guess) of what it looked like after

Old 09-08-2005, 01:46 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

hey is that a 06, how do u like the 18" wheels, what tire and size tire does it come with, looks great, mines on order!
Old 09-08-2005, 02:16 PM
huffhuff
2nd Gear Member

i put the plastic plugs in the holes first and then applied clear RTV on them inside the trunk lid so there is no chance of getting RTV on the exterior .
I found the flat round plus at Advance Auto and at AutoZone.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Gloves
2nd Gear Member

Why are we removing our spoilers?
Old 09-08-2005, 08:21 PM
dajohu
2nd Gear Member

Becuase it serves no function and looks like crap. J/K[8D]

Some of us just don't like it, I have not liked any mustangs since the late 60's/early 70's models and I think the spoilers they have been putting on them look like something off my mom's Grand Am. Plus since most people have them, going without makes our cars a little more unique out of the 100k+ out there.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Zerbe

can you post any close up shots of where the holes on the trunk used to be?
Old 09-09-2005, 04:36 AM
Gloves
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dajohu

Becuase it serves no function and looks like crap. J/K[8D]

Some of us just don't like it, I have not liked any mustangs since the late 60's/early 70's models and I think the spoilers they have been putting on them look like something off my mom's Grand Am. Plus since most people have them, going without makes our cars a little more unique out of the 100k+ out there.
heh, good point. However there are lots of things on the Mustang that don't function or should have been designed more efficiently that weren't because it just damn looks cool. [ul][*] Side scoops (dents) - they look cool, don't do a damn thing tho.[*] The horribly un-arrow dynamic air scooping front - BAD *** AGRESSIVE STYLE (retarded cars slop back and give way to be more 'arrow dynamic'[*] 300 hp - COMPLETELY unnecessary and hirable gas mileage but Freakin' Fun![*] Spoiler - I opted for it when ordering cause the back looks naked w/out it and most V6 GTs i see don't have one. If i didn't get the factory I would have to put one similar non-functioning one on.
[/ul]
My Take:
So the mustang isn't about function it's all about being as impractacl as possible!

Quick Reply: Removing my spoiler