Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Manual..lol

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:09 PM
boothay
2nd Gear Member

Default First Manual..lol

Hey guys, I just recently purchased a 2010 GT. And I must say.. I love the car. I traded in my 2000 Gt Auto for it and man...what a big difference. Its like night and day...Ive drivin sticks before but none of my own. Now that I have one its like im super nervous. I was pulling into my garage and I was in third and as soon as I proceeded up the incline into my garage of course it stalled, it was shaking and making clanking noises. I hope i didnt mess anything up but.. I was wondering. For all those out there with manual's what are some do's and don'ts you do in your stang while driving, parking, stoping and slowing down. Any tips would be good so I dont wind up tearing something up lol. Greatly appreciated.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:29 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

A few that I go by:

1. limit partial engages to back up/move forward (only partially engaging the clutch) to a minimum
  2. downshifting...If you do this (as I do), only do so down to 2nd. 1st is just far too hard on things even with modern transmissions (old ones you had to be at a dead stop to shift into it, as there was no synchronizer)
  3. Never leave your foot resting against the clutch. Hover.
  4. And as you've noted, lugging isn't a great idea. You get used to the sound of the car you'll know where the stall rpm range is when your doing things along the lines you mentioned without any need to see the dash meter.

Overall I'm sure you'll get pretty good at it in under a few months. Toasting the clutch is the only concern with most of what I mention.

Last edited by wayne613; 09-04-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:29 PM
clix813
4th Gear Member

You didnt hurt anything it just stalled. This is my first manual as well. My 2002 gt was an auto but iv driven plenty of manuals threw out the years from tractors to atvs to ls1s comaros. Im loving mine it makes it a drivers car so much more. The only thing I could think of is try not to ride the clutch so much. I know its kinda hard not to cause it makes driving a lot easier but if you do you will be replacing that clutch pretty soon. Other then that maybe some one else will chime in. The main thing I do dislike about the manual or the s197 is the rev limiter de fuels or something instead of just bouncing. But in time shifting will become better.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:36 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Yep you are ok. You just learned a lesson: don't go from a dead stop in third gear, that is what first is for silly rabbit, lol
J/k, you can probably go from a dead stop from second gear, but you will have to slip the clutch (increased wear, possible glaze if you are gunning the gas).
Third or higher gear = small lurch forward and stall. Very embarrassing in traffic as people behind you h
Old 09-04-2011, 11:39 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Edit: double post deleted
Old 09-04-2011, 11:49 PM
boothay
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the reply's guys, I will remember not to sit my foot on the clutch , hover over it. Hills still scare me for some reason. lol
Old 09-04-2011, 11:56 PM
clix813
4th Gear Member

lol same here i still ride it on hills but i guess thats what you have to do to not roll backwards.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:24 AM
tbroecker01

For hills, keep one foot on the brake and slowly let the clutch out until you feel it start to grab, then transfer your brake foot over to the gas and slowly press it, while continuing to let out the clutch.
Takes a bit of practice, but it does work.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:39 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Or do like the Brits and pull your ebrake and get a foot on the clutch and gas, build up enough rpm to move forward, and release the brake. Eventually you wont even need it, except that rare occasion when it's especially steep and the guy behind you is especially stupid.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The whole thing is a matter of "feel" and practice. That and getting your timing down on those uphill starts.

As far as the "feel" thing goes, thin-soled footwear is your friend.

Norm