Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possibly wanting to get some cams

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 12:12 PM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

Default possibly wanting to get some cams

well now that i've got a job while i'm going to school i've got extra money lying around to use. ever since i got the tune and intake i've loved it but i still want more power without having to go F/I. i'm looking at comps mother thumper cams, not sure which type to get though. there was a set that said rough idle and idk how loud that would be. i just want some good gains up top. would headers be a better buy or cams? by the time christmas rolls around i should have about 1500-2k to spend. i want to know if i'd have a good shot of pulling away from my dads camaro ss LS3. its stock and will probably be stock the whole time he owns it haha. would cams put me in the winning bracket from a 40 roll?
Old 09-07-2011, 12:39 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Best bet is to call a mustang parts vendor near you that offers installations and see what deals they can do for you. Ideally you'd want to get cams and long tube headers at the same time with a new tune to get the most power.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

I have ***** Thumpr cams and they are awesome. But bear in mind that you have to have a wicked good tune for a rough lope cam. Below listed are the most common lope cams.

1) Brenspeed Detroit Rockers = Good lope, OEM driveability
2) Ford Racing Hot Rods cams = Lopier then Rockers, pretty close to OEM driveability
3) Blowbyracing Stage 2 cams = no info, never driven em but sound badass
4) Comp ***** Thumpr Cams = Lopiest idle of all but hardest to tune and have to feather the clutch under 1200 rpms
Old 09-07-2011, 01:47 PM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

If you're going to go with cams then you'll need to go with some long tube headers to help them breath easier and better HP gains.
Also... I don't know about other cams but with the Ford Racing cams you can use the stock springs and followers so you save some money there.

Last edited by D'prived; 09-07-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Also some cams are NSR ( no springs required ) and some require springs which adds quite a bit of $ to the whole deal too. Most of the one's that I listed are NSR. If you are looking for an all out power cams with little to no lope, VSR Comp 127500's are a good one for that. A lot of serious drag racers use those.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:12 PM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

yeah i'll definitely look into those vsr cams, i'd like a lope just not irritatingly loud. all my neighbors know whenever i leave or come home from school just because of how loud my exhaust is and my name during pledging was vondermuffler. as for headers should i look at kooks long tubes? or just a generic brand
Old 09-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Kooks is good, very quality but also pretty expensive. I went with Pypes long tube headers with offroad H matching mid and price, fit, finish was good, install wasn't too bad for being as tight *** quarters as it was.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:16 AM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

i think i'll look into those since i have the pypes muffler deletes and i couldn't be happier with the sound. i don't exactly understand how the catalytic converter works with the exhaust. by removing those do you make more power?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Yes you will make more power as the cats are pretty restrictive but also note, adding cams, longtube headers and offroad pipe will DRASTICALLY increase the volume of the car. I have the Thumpr cams, Pypes longtube headers with offroad H matched up to Bassani exhaust and I have yet to hear another S197 car that sounds remotely to mine. Badass is putting it gentle. Loud as hell is also putting it gently. lol

Mine isn't a DD so I don't really care but for example, my idle alone can and does set off parked car alarms much less WOT. If you are concerned about volume, you could add a set of high flow cats which flow better then the stock cats and wont be quite as loud but still sound very good.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:13 PM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

alright sweet, i think i'll do that instead. i just wanna make the most power i can out of my car. the tune and intake helped a ton, i honestly never thought i was gonna buy them haha. what do intake/tune/axleback 5 spd gt's typically run in the 1/4 with a good driver? and what's the highest they've trapped? i saw somewhere some guy ran a 12.8x @ around 107 mph

Quick Reply: possibly wanting to get some cams