Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind deflector recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 01:21 AM
2011V6Conv
1st Gear Member

Default Wind deflector recommendation?

I've been considering a wind deflector for a while, ever since I was driving in the winter with the top down.

I've noticed an ad on the forums site for https://www.windblockerse.com/ - seems like an interesting idea that works well, but does not look that great. Of course, there is also the common http://www.americanmuscle.com/wind-deflector-0510.html which looks a bit better, but also costs about twice.

Any insights or recommendations are appreciated

Thanks
Old 09-25-2011, 11:23 AM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

I have owned a rack flip-up type like the one in the AM ad (made by Love the Drive) and have just ordered the Windblocker. Both have their distinct advantages and disadvantages:

Flip-up rack type: Advantages: Sturdy construction, Blocks all the turbulence, including on the outside of the headrests. Probably more aerodynamic, since it forms a smooth cover over the back seat. Provides a bit of cover over the backseat so I can set stuff there and it won't blow away and people can't reach in and grab it when it's parked. Allows you to vary the amount of wind by flipping up or down the vertical part of the screen. I usually flipped mine down in the city because I like a little breeze and flipped it up on the highway.
Disadvantages: Takes about 10 mins to install and 5 to take off. Makes back seat unusable. Can store in the floor of the trunk, but then have to be careful that you don't puncture or tear the screen when you use the trunk.

Windblocker: Advantages: A little easier to take off and on. Stores in a little bag that you can stash out of the way in the trunk. Can use back seat in a pinch. Cheaper.
Disadvantages: I don't have my new one yet, but I have heard that there's some turbulence that comes in from the outer sides of the headrests. Less aerodynamic because you'll still have turbulence swirling in the back seat. Can't store things on the back seat because it will blow away.

I would recommend getting a blocker of some type. They really do work. I can drive on the highway in cool weather with the heater on and am completely comfortable. Also, it's a big plus to be able to hear the sound system or talk.

My bottom line would be that if you don't have to carry passengers often in the back seat and will leave the unit installed most of the time, I'd go with the rack type. It will work better and will give you more options to vary the wind stream. I sold mine because I have developed allergies and can't put the top down as often anymore. I also often have unexpected riders in the back seat. With the Windblocker, I can let them slip in the backseat, even though they'll feel separated from the cab. It will do in a pinch.

Last edited by atldave; 09-27-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Thundersteel
2nd Gear Member

I have the Windblocker SE, and it does work as advertised.

However, a disadvantage I experienced is that it limits rearward visibility at night somewhat. But it also cuts down on headlights from behind you at night, too, which could be an advantage. During the day, though, it's fine. Otherwise, it works really well.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:57 AM
majik755
2nd Gear Member

I ordered the Love the Drive wind blocker and love it. I never use the back seat anyway and it can be left up even with the top up so hides anything I may throw in the back seat from outside viewing. My wife loves it because when it's up and the front windows are up her hair does not get blown around at all. As previously said, you can fold it down or put the windows down to vary the air flow. It definitely extends the season, allowing heting or colling more effectively withteh top down. Not cheap, but I love it.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:01 PM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

I use the Love to Drive flip up. Awesome. certainly extends the driving season with the top down and the heaters on high. Worth every penny.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

The one AM carries is the Bosal-Oris made one, it is a nicely designed sturdy piece, and comes with a nice heavy zippered storage bag for those times you need to store it in the trunk. The Bosal-Oris and the CDC deflector are also the only two designed to look good with a CDC lightbar, something to consider if you have one or are planning to get one.

I finally bought one (from AM) earlier this year, after resisting for several years (an upcoming cross country drive with my fiancee finally tipped the scales as she wasn't going to do a 1400mi cruise with her hair being whipped around the whole time). EXTREMELY satisfied with the Bosal-Oris piece, does the job, and looks good.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:24 PM
drakefamily2
1st Gear Member

I've got the windblocker, does a pretty good job.I don't have any problems with rearview mirror but i am 6'2".