Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

poor paint job

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 03:00 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Default poor paint job

I paid 350 to have both my fenders and hood repainted last week.

when i went to pick it up there were about 3 dozen dimples and places where dust/trash had settled on the drying paint, in the hood and fenders.

So I asked the guys to redo it and they did, and after that it still had about 2 dozen affected spots, plus they have to repaint one fender where they cleared over a bad area.

I am going to just keep taking it back to these guys until they get it right. One problem I am having is they keep trying to tell me that the dimples are from "rock chips" and they cant get them out, and that there's no such thing as a "dust free" paint job. basically they are trying to tell me that they cannot make it perfect no matter what.

I have already paid. Advice? suggestions?
Old 10-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Get your money back. Sounds like they're painting it in the shop instead of in a spary booth. If they use a base/clear paint they should be able to wet sand and buff out the dirt. I went through the same thing with a shop here when I had to have my quarter panel repainted. It sucks.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:51 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Sounds like the typical you "pay or what you get" $350.00 is way too cheap to get a quality job imo.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThaiCobra
the dimples are from "rock chips" and they cant get them out, and that there's no such thing as a "dust free" paint job.
Take your fenders and run away.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:09 PM
bmartin8732
1st Gear Member

I paint for a living and $350 is way too cheap for that paint job to be done right at a real shop. On the other hand, I could paint those in my garage for $350 and once dry, I could cut and buff them and they would look just fine. NOT PERFECT, but close.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:13 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2cokeman
Sounds like the typical you "pay or what you get" $350.00 is way too cheap to get a quality job imo.
very true.

beforehand i handed the car over i googled the shop to see the reviews and there was only one and it was positive....http://autobody.com/peach-auto-paint...anooga-tn.html

plus in addition to the bad work, instead of just taping off they sprayed areas that i didnt ask to be sprayed, both my doors have been repainted.

i'm going to go back one more time, and tell them i want it done correctly, is there anything i can threaten if the jobs not good?

I feel like i'm already painted into a corner since i already paid the guys, grrrr.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:14 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

I'm not asking for perfect, but 2 dozen dimples and dust marks is rediculous.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I would demand your money back it they can't do it right.
Yeah $350 isn't enough for a quality job, but if its a reputable shop they should not have taken the job if they were going to do ****ty work.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:36 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

In the future pay once the job is complete, not before. At any point they could say they're done and you'd be SOL.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:43 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Let's see...

A quart of quality paint (base coat only) like PPG, Diamont, Dupont etc... runs around $100 nowadays and you need close to that amount for 2 fenders and a hood (unless you only need blend on those fenders)...
Then you add the cost of the clear, reducers, catalyst and other materials like tape and you get to about $200 in materials for that job, lol.
With only $350 on the shop quote, so much for profit!

Because of that, I can assure you that you got the cheapest materials available on your car and you barely have two coats of clear on it.
It means that after one Summer of heat exposure, you will be back to square one.
I'm also scared to ask you about the match as cheap paints don't have enough toners to get a decent match.

A REAL shop would charge $500 for the hood alone, so now you understand your dilemma.

Also for further references, a shop that doesn't have a paint booth is to be avoided...

Sorry to say, it's a redo (by someone else of course).

Quick Reply: poor paint job