Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Have You Made Yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Over the years with various cars . . .

Made/modified transmission crossmembers for complete powertrain or just transmission swaps. Modified floorpans for same. Re-mounted a spare tire once, becaiuse its well had been taken over with EFI fuel pumps, filters, and a surge tank that I fabricated from scratch.

Fabricated leaf spring shackles, stabilizer bar brackets, and other odds and ends.

Painted hoods a couple of times, whole cars 3 or 4 times. If I told you how, you might not believe. Here's the latest full car paint job, several years after painting.

Nonstandard extra frame crossmember.

Adapt bucket seats from different cars into mine (twice). A real PITA sometimes, but my lower back greatly appreciated it both times.

A little bit of body sheetmetal work with patch panels.

Every single complete or partial replacement exhaust system in the last 45 years or so.

Built my own bead-breaker so I could at least mount my own tires. Made a few other specific-use tools over the years, and adapted an engine harmonic balancer puller so it could also be used as a balancer installer.

Made up a few tools for doing wheel alignment.

Other stuff that I've forgotten about.

Growing up (in southeastern Massachusetts ), I had at least three outstanding examples of self-reliance to follow right there in the neighborhood. My Dad (now 92), my uncle, and my best friend's Dad. There wasn't much that those guys wouldn't tackle or couldn't figure out how to do.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-05-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 11-05-2011, 10:38 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I made a Heavy-Duty Over-Engineered A-Arm brace
that Ford left off my 07 stang and have done many
electrical mods not offered by aftermarket companies...
Attached Thumbnails What Have You Made Yourself?-img_2626.jpg   What Have You Made Yourself?-img_2628.jpg   What Have You Made Yourself?-bracesmall3.jpg   What Have You Made Yourself?-braceno.jpg   What Have You Made Yourself?-brace2small.jpg  

Old 11-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Also....my friend designed, programmed and builds compression testers designed for rotory engines. (He's an RX-7 guy.) They work very well on piston engines as well. He is also in development of a 8 cyl EGT system that can monitor all 8 cylinders for EGT, give an average for either and both banks, and an overall average. All in a package about the size of a standard radar detector. I'll be protyping the EGT system on my Powerstroke when it is all complete. (Buying the 8 EGT probes is all on me though...and he hasn't figured which ones he'll use just yet.) www.twistedrotors.com
Old 11-05-2011, 02:21 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I custom fit catch cans for my motor and my trans, not difficult but I like how they turned out. Repainted all my emblems black. Installed all my mods with buddies helping cept my gears. Doing it yourself always feels good. At my track it seems everybody does their own work. Speed shops are not plentiful here. LOL
Old 11-05-2011, 02:41 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckydawg003
I made a shorty antenna and did all the work myself on all my installs.
Ditto.
Originally Posted by Young_Gun
Made a shorty? You can do that?
Yeah, ylu take your stock antenna, remove the ball, cut the antenna down to the height you want, grind down the end so the ball will fit, loctite the ball back on, paint and mount. It's much better than the shorties you buy because they don't seem to have the "anti-whistle" twist, and they whistle above 70.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
Ditto.

Yeah, ylu take your stock antenna, remove the ball, cut the antenna down to the height you want, grind down the end so the ball will fit, loctite the ball back on, paint and mount. It's much better than the shorties you buy because they don't seem to have the "anti-whistle" twist, and they whistle above 70.
I just ran into an issue with my antenna.

Some idiot (previous owner) tried to raise it by putting this flimsy adapter below the normal one.

It moves around and crap.

Last edited by Young_Gun; 11-05-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Painted my new throttle body and plenum "Ford Blue", painted the pony black and dremmeled (sp) most of the honeycomb out behind the new billet grille. Also new LEDS all around (dash, dome lights, license lights) and wired the blue footwell lights to turn on and off with the dome lights.

Last edited by Syracuse315; 11-05-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Milspec
2nd Gear Member

Well, its not the car, but I figure everyone likes to see pictures, so this is when I cut off a bunch of ridiculous plastic from the back of my motorcycle...had to rewire the LED taillight...etc, etc...

BEFORE:

Old 11-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Thor
2nd Gear Member

I don't create or install anything myself
Old 11-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thor
I don't create or install anything myself
You will in good time

Quick Reply: What Have You Made Yourself?