Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for protecting your car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 03:31 PM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Default Tips for protecting your car?

So I finally have my car up here on campus with me...it's a great feeling.

Anyway, I'm wondering...what tips do you guys have for keeping your car safe (those of you who brought your car with you to college)? I'm absolutely terrified that I'm going to walk out to it one day and find a window broken or something. I know that my car will be a target anyway, but I want to make it as hard as possible for someone to mess with it. I've already passed up great parking spaces (if you went to WKU, you'd understand how hard this was) based on the fact I didn't like who was next to me.

I know the basics (i.e. don't leave anything out that could tempt people, etc.). What else do I need to know?
Old 11-09-2011, 03:38 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

If your campus allows car covers, then consider covering it. Might just attract even more of a chance of vandalism, but I don't know. I refused to bring mine to college, there's already been a few break ins this semester.

Last semester a few guys got drunk and apparently were "Ford haters" and went around throwing bricks through the windshields of Fords they found. Gotta love people.

I wouldn't trust it. For cars like ours it doesn't matter if you have a nice pretty GPS in your front window or not, our cars are the nice things.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:39 PM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
If your campus allows car covers, then consider covering it. Might just attract even more of a chance of vandalism, but I don't know. I refused to bring mine to college, there's already been a few break ins this semester.

Last semester a few guys got drunk and apparently were "Ford haters" and went around throwing bricks through the windshields of Fords they found. Gotta love people.

I wouldn't trust it. For cars like ours it doesn't matter if you have a nice pretty GPS in your front window or not, our cars are the nice things.
I know, it's depressing.

I didn't have much of a choice in taking it (although I'm not complaining, I'm SO HAPPY I have it here with me now) because I've got to drive back and forth between here and Nashville a bunch in the few weeks.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Get one of those touch sensitive car alarms.

Better yet - get one of those electric shock door handle things so when they try opening the door they get tazed.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:35 PM
matt8998nm
1st Gear Member

Pretty much I Just always park in what I think is a good spot and keep almost everything out of sight... I haven't had too many problems except a door ding which has been removed and the fact that it is hard too keep the exterior clean.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Gan6660
1st Gear Member

Park mine under a light at the end of the line. I park by the same 3 cars every time, 2 Infiniti G37x and a Hyundai Genesis so I should be good. Im only at college sunday night through thursday afternoon.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:18 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Purchase an alarm system. Best investment I ever made during my college years.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You're screwed.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:34 PM
goodfun_gt
2nd Gear Member

My classes are at night so I park mine under some light, with one row between me and the furthest car. Oh, and my car is in sight from the main entrance of the building.

Maybe you can tip school security $5 a week to cruise by your car every other hour? lol
Old 11-09-2011, 06:55 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I pay the security at my apartment (near campus, so lots of drunk idiots on thursday-sunday) to keep an eye on my car. Under the table, and it's like 20 bucks a month for them to watch my car for me on those days extra carefully.

After my car got vandalized (mirrors broken) I spared no expense keeping it from damage a second time. And your car will thank you for the extra love.

I would never suggest taking a nice car to college, too many low, scumbag, degraded lifeforms around here to even want to, but it's a need. I understand.

Get a good alarm, or if they allow it- a camera system if you park in a portico garage thing like I do (and I still got vandalized). Overall, make sure you have good insurance for any "surprises", but I have my fingers crossed for you to never have to use it.

Quick Reply: Tips for protecting your car?