Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 GT STANCE thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flashpasta
Very few manufacturers get stance right, I guess they are too concerned of the perception of the typical homoglobulated car buyer.
Let me toss out a few thoughts . . .

Somehow I doubt that a mfr could ever get "stance" "right". There's too many other criteria that they HAVE to satisfy either legally or to suit corporate design standards. But forgetting about such things as headlamp height and tire chain clearance for the purposes of this thread . . .

I put "stance" in quotes because it's really a matter of subjective opinion that does not lend itself to accurate description (let alone measurement). Different people have different senses of proportion, or look at/ignore different features.

"Right" is in quotes because as soon as a mfr puts a car down into whatever the then-commonly-accepted definition of stance happens to be, it'll be time for the leading edge guys to take things still further (and the mfr's new entry won't be quite "right" any more). "Right" really can't ever become "mainstream" or stray much past the individual, the aftermarket, and custom fab businesses.

You'll find that there are a few of us that are much more function over form, and I think I'd better leave the rest of that train of thought right where it's at for now.

It is possible to overcome - or at least crutch - some of the chassis shortcomings that can come from aggressive lowering and/or playing games with the car's rake. Some are simple and not too pricy, others . . . aren't.

Offhand, I'd say you want to consider adjustable versions of many things if you truly want to maximize the combination of "stance" and function. The further you deviate from stock, the more likely it becomes that you will have to correct the suspension geometry or other things that affect the 'balance' of the car. I happen to have adjustable dampers (Konis) and stabilizer bars (Sam's), partly because I can see a need to be able to tweak those things if I change other things.

And there are a few things that are completely unnecessary from a functional point of view, such as panhard bar braces.

On edit - the best thing you can do right away is find a wheel and tire combination that you know you'll be happy with for as much of your time with this car as possible. Making sure that they will (still) fit will probably end up driving many of the other decisions that you'll be making.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-23-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:43 PM
flashpasta
1st Gear Member

norm, i am prolly gonna go with 18" wheels but I am wondering if the combo of steeda sports and 18" wheels will leave big gap. tire chains do seem to be a big deal with domestic mfr's
Old 11-24-2011, 04:58 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

It's not the diameter of the wheel that determines how much gap there will be - it's the diameter of the tire that you put on the wheel..

Steeda Sports with 255/45/18s front and 285/40/18s rear would look great!

Last edited by jdmcbride; 11-24-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:44 AM
dennisafrompa
1st Gear Member

Default Also take offset into consideration..

This car has FRPP wheels for a 2003 on it and they are only 24mm offset which brings them just to the edge of the wheel well.

The car also has Steeda sport springs which almost makes it level.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:46 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Eibach Pros

Old 11-24-2011, 08:13 PM
flashpasta
1st Gear Member

how is the ride and handling with the eibach pro's?
Old 11-24-2011, 08:30 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Very good, but I think it can be better with an upgrade to shocks/struts.

(Sent you a PM about our GTG in Greensboro on 12/10 - hope you can make it)
Old 11-24-2011, 09:49 PM
flashpasta
1st Gear Member

yea i got the PM
Old 11-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Is having stance anything similar to having status?
Old 11-25-2011, 04:04 PM
acrbill

FRPP K springs.

I just traded my 2011 manual for a 2011 auto and I may try another spring or perhaps even a coilover.

Quick Reply: 2010 GT STANCE thread