Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Shifter advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:45 AM
laughingfalulah

Default Short Shifter advice

Hey y'all! I know nothing about cars, but my husband has a 2005 Roush Mustang and wants a short shifter in it. I have heard good things about MGW, but am also looking at Roush (or anything else that would be better). Can anyone offer advice on which way to go? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by laughingfalulah
Hey y'all! I know nothing about cars, but my husband has a 2005 Roush Mustang and wants a short shifter in it. I have heard good things about MGW, but am also looking at Roush (or anything else that would be better). Can anyone offer advice on which way to go? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Hi, I'm not sure if the 2005 Roush came with a short thru shifter. Stage 2 and up roush should had it in already. Double check that.
I have the Steeda Tri-Ax for 4 years, it still runs good. You can get those from local Ford dealer which sells and installs Steeda products. Or you can go to americanmuscle.com to get one with free shipping.

Here are some good ones. Hurst is good too.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/05-07-...-shifters.html

Last edited by Rainson; 11-30-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:20 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Hey Laughing,

What kind of driver is he and what does he use his car for (is he a weekend racer or just a commuter with a sweet ride?)

You are going to get a ton of responses on this topic so the best advice I can give you is do the research and ultimately decide which one you think will work! If you have to stay within a certain price range then by all means say within that price range.

We currently have ours on sale and it is a great piece with a lifetime warranty.

http://www.steeda.com/store/ford-mus...-shifters.html

The Tri Ax is a great shifter as well as the other brands. I am sure what you decide on he is going to absolutely love.

Thanks

Tj
Old 12-01-2011, 07:43 AM
laughingfalulah

Hey! His car is a Stage 1, with some modifications made (like a pro charger and an upgraded engine) but it still has the original shifter. He uses the car only for commuting, but would like to dabble in racing once his car is "perfect."
Old 12-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

.MGW.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:00 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Here is some additional information on our shifter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4sKE...yer_detailpage

Here is a customer testimonial on our shifter as well:

I installed a tri-ax in my car this past week and have been driving on it for the past week, and I am happy to say I am blown away!

When I saw the pictures and held it in my hand I was very skeptical (as were others in the shop) when we saw no east-west springs as in previous tri-ax's. However after install all of use were amazed at the control in this shifter. We were worried that the shifter would not make a big difference, we were VERY VERY wrong.

100% of the slop is ELIMINATED. The shifter is not notchy, it is easy to engage each gear and finding the gate is not an issue. However you never have that mushy in between the factory shifter gave you which left you wondering: is this first or third? while sitting at a light.

My favorite part is the 2-3 shift. I push forward with an open palm and the shifter authoritatively finds 3rd for me 100% of the time. You will NOT miss 3rd with this shifter.

Finally the reverse spring is 10X harder then factory and that’s exactly what I was hoping for. It was far too easy to engage reverse with the factory shifter. If its too firm for you they include and optional spring with a lesser rate in the box.

Overall: Its so good I could never drive my car with the factory shifter again.

That pretty much sums it up! I can only give you one insight on our shifter and we stand behind it 100%. We offer a lifetime warranty on our shifter and worked with Ford Motor Company to come up with the specs.

Hope this helps..

Thanks

TJ
Old 12-01-2011, 02:58 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Almost every guy around here is going to tell you to go with a MGW. They are superior in every way.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:51 PM
tbar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by simplexdesign
Almost every guy around here is going to tell you to go with a MGW. They are superior in every way.
What he said.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

MGW is awesome. I've experienced Steeda and Hurst and while both are great products, neither comes close to how solid my MGW is.
Every other shifter ONLY shortens throw

MGW is only shifter that can adjust
1. Height of shifter
2. Throw length
3. The handle rotates around the mounting point in a circle (360 degrees of adjustment)...you can adjust it forward, back, left, right of the axis and then tighten it with an allen wrench.
I shift with two fingers without moving my hand from where it's at.
Customer service is outstanding
Worth every cent it costs.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
.MGW.
agreed!

Quick Reply: Short Shifter advice